Battery Pack

by mrudat

Changes modular armor batteries to work as removable battery packs able to power armor, vehicles or your factory.

3 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i Question and/or suggestion

5 years ago

Does your mod be used in modded vehicles?
I dont know, as example, the AAI vehicles or the helicopter in omonime mod?
If not, can be done?
It can be very funny.

5 years ago

The mod creates battery powered copies of most vehicles, but many mods only support their own vehicles.

5 years ago

Cant you make Bateries ake batteries as a sort of fuel with low pollutional effect AND with waste?
Not checked your mod, but I'm not sure it can't be done.
This way you dont have to make copies of vehicles, but only change a little the fuel effect...
Just an idea you can work on, if possible.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Mechanically, it's not a problem; you can change the existing vehicle's definition to accept different fuels, and add in a slot for flat batteries. That's exactly what I'm doing when I create the copy vehicle, but the copy requires a battery holder as an ingredient, as well as swapping out engines for electric engines.

Edit: I suppose I could add a setting to patch specific vehicles to allow batteries when the vehicle has runtime behaviour that's tied to its name, and thus will only work with a vehicle of that specific name; cloned and edited vehicles don't have the special effects.

Edit: fix tyops.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I go check how it work now.
I cant wait.
I hope it work as I've thought.
Thank you very very much.
A suggestion for the check. Could you select vehicles based on ingredients or on kinds of fuel it can use?
If yes you can select automatically any entities with "fuel burning" tag and add elements creating a copy-modified recipe. Not sure how, but I think it can be done in some ways.
My 2 cent of idea...

5 years ago

Done a check.
Found something unusual.
I've got an "charged helicopter remote control", but not a "battery powered helicopter".

There is a chance to have an equipment that "charge batteries" in the inventory of players or vehicles?

5 years ago

I did think about that a little, but you can't have a crafting machine in your equipment grid, so it would need to be script based.

Also, it sounds like I'll need to add explicit support for the helicopter mod.

5 years ago

Just an idea. I've thought something like the standard batteries that, once removed from the grid, are full instead of empty, but it's just a thought.
The ideas are the basics of the world and even the worst, someday, can give a great result.
Have fun and enjoy the game and your modding without becoming crazy for it and thanks for your time.
As user of your mod I'm grateful for it as is it, with or without my proposal. ;)

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

The event that fires for equipment being removed fires after the equipment is removed, so it is no longer present in the equipment grid, and thus you can't tell if the battery was full or not. If it always returned full batteries, you're effectively being given free energy.

I have considered a grid-based battery charger, but that's something that has to run via on_tick, and it seems that it could be very expensive in terms of UPS. On the other hand, induction charging, and the various electric train mods do something similar on_tick, and people keep using them, so it might be worth considering.

Edit: fix tyop.

5 years ago

As told, happy to give new ideas.
Your choices use it or not.
Happy if it can be a new feature of an already good mod. :D

New response