Deep core mining

by VortiK

A not cheaty infinite ore mod. Adds ore patches that appear when ore fields are depleted that can be mined with a pair of advanced mining drill to upgrade mining outposts and provide source of expensive but steady infinite ore. Adds an high tech infinite ore mining from rare deep core cracks spawned in the world that require heavy refining. Now with automatic mod support !

Content
19 days ago
0.15 - 1.1
Mining

g Space Exploration HOW TO TEST and Feedback

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hello,

I've implemented Space Exploration support in the mod during one of my own game. Please provide support here if you test it !

HOW TO ENABLE SPACE EXPLORATION AND DEEP CORE MINING ?

Space Exploration marked Deep Core Mining as explicitly incompatible for now, so you have to change its code to play with both :

• Unzip Space Exploration
  • Edit info.json and remove the line "! vtk-deep-core-mining,
  • Edit space-exploration\prototypes\phase-3\resources.lua and toward the bottom, remove the infinite resource override code that removes all infinite resources (you can just comment it like this) :

--[[if resource.minable and resource.minable.results then
for _, result in ipairs(resource.minable.results) do
if result and result.type ~= "fluid" then
-- no endless non-fluids
resource.infinite = false
resource.minimum = nil
resource.normal = nil
resource.maximum = nil
end
end
end]]--

You will have to do this on every release of SE.

WHAT ABOUT BALANCE ?

Deep Core Mining purpose is to reduce the tediousness of constently having to build new Outposts without being a cheaty infinite ore source. SE encourages you to build new extraplanetary outpost instead to get new ore once Nauvis is not enought. This is fun but the Rocket Logistic challenge is the same for 1 or many planets, so DCM still serves its purpose.

I've also made the Advanced Deep Core miner not yield any extraplanetary ores (on any planet), this would be too unbalanced as you would not need to venture in space. It will only yield basic Nauvis ores, coal, stone, iron, copper and uranium and can be used on other planets aswell to get them for now (if you can get enough sulfuric acid !).
You will still have to make outpost on new planets to get the new ores SE introduces and you will be able to use Moho and normal Deep Core Miners on thoses depleted new ores on other planets.

But SE has its own Core Mining drills ? Yes they work very similarly to Advanced Deep Core Mining but have diminishing returns and can yield all SE ores depending on the planet. So both are complementary.

WHEN WILL IT BE OFFICIALLY COMPATIBLE ?

I have yet to discuss withe Earendel about this but I feel he made the design choice to exclude all infinite resources mods from SE with good intention for the SE experience which I can understand. However I think with the changes above the mod is not too cheaty and keep its purpose of reducing the outpost race and allow a bit less hardcore experience with SE.
I guess one more change would be to reduce the Deep Core Crack frequency as they may still be too frequent. The best way would be to use the proper autoplace feature like all ores but I have yet to dive into this complex part of factorio modding.

In any case if you have feedback, this is most welcome as always !

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

FWIW, I think the advanced deep core mining drill that uses those infinite cracks is too powerful. Sure, it needs intermediates, but it produces insane amounts of ore - compared to the SE core mining drill, anyways.

1 year, 10 months ago

I have tried to use this fix, but for some reason, the game thinks that I no longer have the mod installed if I modify it in any way, shape, or form. I will admit, this is my first time editing the code of a mod. If anyone sees this, could you possibly help me out on this?

1 year, 9 months ago
(updated 1 year, 9 months ago)

On version factorio 1.0 it worked. Currently on version 1.1 causes a conflict.
Upd. It works now...

1 year, 9 months ago

Needs Update, conflicts with (SE and K2) game...

1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you for the greate mod.
We are playing a game with SE, Krastorio2 and Deep core mining. On an asteroid after depleting a copper field deep core patches appeared. But we are wondering how they can be used since moho miner and deep core miner can't be placed on asteroid surface.
Is this behaviour intended?

1 year, 8 months ago

Hello,

Well yes and no, SE adds special surface exclusion list, so only building specifically allowed can be built in space surfaces. Deep Core Mining drill indeed are not in this list but cracks will spawn. Could be fixed but this feels a minor bug.

I'm personnaly doing a run without deep core mining as SE reworked its own deep core miner and it feels more balanced now.

1 year, 8 months ago
(updated 1 year, 8 months ago)

So long story short, I am editing my problem to my findings:
I was lucky to find the culprit realtivly quickly.
It was AAI Programmable vehicles ver 0.7.12 that caused the deep core patches not to appear after depleting ore patches. This was true, whether the SE mods were ative or not. The most recent version of AAI Programmable vehicles and older versions than 0.7.12 work with deep core mining without much issues, as far as I know.

New response