Deep core mining

by VortiK

A not cheaty infinite ore mod. Adds ore patches that appear when ore fields are depleted that can be mined with a pair of advanced mining drill to upgrade mining outposts and provide source of expensive but steady infinite ore. Adds an high tech infinite ore mining from rare deep core cracks spawned in the world that require heavy refining. Now with automatic mod support !

Content
7 months ago
0.15 - 1.1
Mining

g Very nice alternative to Angel's infinite ores.

5 years ago

I just wanted to say that after 2 years of using Angel's, I've given this a try and found it more balanced and exciting to witness in action. Instead of always having infinite ores in a patch (even with RSO), no matter how small, it was easy to exploit with Bob's large miners obtaining thousands of ore per second from a single ore tile.

Not knowing if a patch will even spawn deep core deposits is kind of exciting, as I've had patches with none or half a dozen spots. Then the single deep core miner slowly churns out ore, which as mentioned is more balanced compared to an infinite tile. The advanced deep core miner also being an interesting addition which makes finding fissures like finding a pot of gold or hidden treasure.

Later support for MadClown's ores (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Clowns-Extended-Minerals) would be nice given it has gained some attraction for Angel's players and could use this better balance as well, but there's no rush.

I'd also like to suggest having the deep core minerals look a bit different than the default to prevent confusion. Perhaps the drill icon on the ore to denote it, as I had both on a belt and couldn't tell them apart.

Other than that, this mod is now a mainstay in my family games when 0.17 releases.

5 years ago

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, glad you like my mod !

Some graphics and icons are indeed still kinda placeholder until I can get something better to fit the mod, so yeah it can be confusing for some parts.

I've added support for Mad Clowns Extented Minrals in 1.14.0, freshly pushed. As I didn't play with this mod myself any feedback is welcome !

Regards

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Thank you for the rapid update.

The test was successful but balance may be required on the advanced miner for sure.
http://puu.sh/CCszU/8cab25839a.png

As it's now generating more ore types, the percentages need to be reduced to compensate. Although, the advanced miner is still very powerful with the 200 Angel/Clown ores per single "pure" recipe, whereas the uranium is a bit more balanced at 52 per deep ore. I'm aware you're still tweaking it, but for Angel's it's VERY easy to make millions of sulfuric acid to have the advanced miner run 24/7, so that also works against the balance. Just something you should be aware of.

5 years ago

Hello Yucie,

I've added some balancing in 1.15.0 on Deep Core Refining when there are many ores as well as on Mad Clown's Focused Refining.

Let me know how it feels now and there's more tweaking required don't hesitate !

5 years ago

It seems you've put some fair thought into the balancing already, as I looked at the updated numbers and felt like it was appropriate.

If there's anything I would possibly change, it would be to reduce the ore from the advanced drill cycle from 25/s to 10/s (Acid requirement reduced to match). While it seems like a major drop, it's easy to sustain just a single advanced drill for all your ore, when multiple fissures on the map should be used to achieve that goal.

New response