Deep core mining

by VortiK

A not cheaty infinite ore mod. Adds ore patches that appear when ore fields are depleted that can be mined with a pair of advanced mining drill to upgrade mining outposts and provide source of expensive but steady infinite ore. Adds an high tech infinite ore mining from rare deep core cracks spawned in the world that require heavy refining. Now with automatic mod support !

Content
8 months ago
0.15 - 1.1
Mining

g Mining speed numbers seem off

6 years ago

Hi there,
First of all, thanks for putting in the effort to making this mod.
The reason I write this comment is because the numbers on how good the DCMD's are seem off to me. In the description it says that the DCMD should be about 27 times more powerful than an electric mining drill, an electric mining drill produces 0.525/s in the case of iron copper and coal, so with a 27 times more production I would expect an output of 14.175/s which would be more than a full yellow belt.
However the mining drill only has a mining power of 10 versus the electric mining drill with a power of 3 and the mining speeds are the same so in the end, unless I am missing something here, there is no way that it is 27 times as powerfull.

Using the following formula
(Mining power - Mining hardness) * Mining speed / Mining time = Production rate (in resource/sec)
I deduced that the deep core mining drill will produce 2.275/s at a source with 100% yield which is about 4(1/3) times an electric mining drill. Considering that the yield of the sources tends to be less than 100% its even worse than that.
So either my math or understanding of the mechanics is wrong, or you made a mistake somewhere. A solution could be to either tweak the mining speed or the mining power to come closer to the desired output.

On another note, in the description of the mod you use the word expansive where I believe you mean to say expensive. Expansive is I believe a tendency to expand, where expensive is about the price.

Happy Hollidays

6 years ago

Hello,

Thanks for your report, the DCMD mining speed was indeed off in the mod because of a leftover bug. After fixing it, a 27x yield seemed way off aswell (overflowing ore). I've settled for now to a ~13x times mining yield compared to a normal mining drill that feels okay-ish.

Let me know how it plays !

Also, "expansive" typo fixed in the description, thanks :)

6 years ago

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and insanely fast fix, I'll try it out and let you know ;)

cheers

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Allright I did some testing and here are my findings;

The production of the DCMD went up quite a bit, and I feel its output suits it's purpose quite well, however its not quite the 13x you aimed for.
With a 100% yield source the output now is a little over 3,5 per second, a normal electric drill is a little over 0,5 per seccond so without rounding off those numbers you can calculate the DCMD is about 6,7 times an electric drill.
Considering that this tends to go down to 1/5th of that due to the yield going down to 20% it still seems a valid lategame usage for those mined out outpost without it removing any incentive to explore.

On the balance side of things i feel that the amount of power it requires is a little much since it tends to deteriorate towards about 1,34x an electric miner while it needs 1MW vs the 90KW, 11x as much. It seems fair to me that it would require more power per resource created but now it seems a bit high.
Maybe looking to balance it around a 100% yield source is the main cause of this, the sources in my experience tend to spawn at around 50-80% so maybe its more fair to balance the power usage around a 60-70% yield, I calculated that this would mean a power usage of around 600KW with the DCMD being 1,5 times the power per ore an electric drill is.
All this power stuff isn't very important if you use efficiency modules though so there is an argument to be made to just keeping it as it is.

6 years ago

Thanks for the detailed testing and feedback !

Glad to hear the ore output feels better balanced now. As for the power, it can be challanged but I feel that it is a small price to pay for an infinite ore source.

And as you pointed out, it can be massively reduced with modules and power is rarely an issue anyway especially at this tech level.

New response