Deep core mining

by VortiK

A not cheaty infinite ore mod. Adds ore patches that appear when ore fields are depleted that can be mined with a pair of advanced mining drill to upgrade mining outposts and provide source of expensive but steady infinite ore. Adds an high tech infinite ore mining from rare deep core cracks spawned in the world that require heavy refining. Now with automatic mod support !

Content
8 months ago
0.15 - 1.1
Mining

g Way too much pollution.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

1000 pollution from one drill... seriously dude? I'm sorry, but it's not worth it.
You need to tone that down. Maybe it's better with the air filter mod but that doesn't feel like a real fix. Oh, and maybe include the pollution levels in the description? Not a peep about it there, so fair warning, one drill equals 1000 pollution.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Hello,

It is scalled to be ~10 miners, so it makes 10 times the pollution. But maybe it is over the top indeed I'm not too sure how the pollution value is used (is it multiplicated by the mining speed ?).

However you can put 3x efficiency1 modules in the deep core miner, which will reduce its very power hungry consumption to -80% (the maximum possible reduction) and drastically reduce the pollution too to I think acceptable levels.

Anyway, let me know if you have suggestion of a more balanced pollution value.

6 years ago

I really love this mod, I suggest you take a slightly deeper look into pollution:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Pollution
https://wiki.factorio.com/Electric_mining_drill

First, we establish that pollution is not multiplied by mining speed. It is generated per KW usage per second (60 ticks/UPS).

An Electric Mining Drill generates 0.1 pollution per KW per second.
An Electric Mining Drill spends 90 KW per second.

Therefore you multiply 0.1 pollution * 90 KW = 9 pollution per second.

For the Deep Core Mining Drill:
If you multiply both the pollution value by 10x and then also the power usage 10x (Actual values are slightly different, using this as an example)

1.0 P/KW * 900 KW = 900 Pollution.

So instead of multiplying the total pollution of the deep core mining drill to be approximately 10 mining drills, you ended up both increasing pollution per KW spent and the KW usage *10 making it an exponential pollution cost.

I personally suggest reducing pollution per KW spent to at minimum 0.1 (Identical to mining drill, don't forget this still get multiplied X11 because the DCMD still consumes ~11X more power!) or increase it slightly because it is a higher tech, say, 0.15.

TL;DR: Pollution gets multiplied by power usage, so multiplying both pollution x10 and power usage x10 you get exponential growth, which is undesirable. The DCMD generates the same amount of pollution as ~111 Electric Mining Drills right now.

Hope it helps!

6 years ago

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the (very) detailed feedback, this is invaluable !

I've pushed a patch (1.3.1) to rebalance the pollution of the DCMD to a more sensible value as you suggested.

Regards

6 years ago

Thanks a lot, I actually didn't know too much about it myself so went and "researched", just the few wiki pages put me up to speed fast. You work very quickly! Will definitely be using the new version! Thanks.

New response