Universal Quickstart Bots and Equipment deprecated

by Caxx

This is an addon mod for Universal Quickstart Mod where the players is given the possibility to start with logistics bots, and also armour and personal equipment. This was earlier a part of the Universal Quickstart Mod, but due to the increasing amount of options in the mod setting menu this is now a stand alone mod.

Content
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18
Cheats

b Can't set roboport to zero ?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

In the mod setting option (well, obviously, where else this mod exist ?)

In the tooltips says must be integer between 0 and 50.
Yet the minimum default is 1, putting 0 will make the input box red.

4 years ago

Oh, I must have set the range wrong. I'll fix that

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Just got and installed an update, thanks.
But,...another bug, well not exactly a bug, more like "things that user intended that i didn't think of"

I set Roboport to 0.
Set the construction bot to 100.
Set Personal roboport to Mk2, and i need only 1.

I only got 25 construction bot instead of 100.
I'm aware what's going on, the mod thinking since i don't request roboport, and only need 1 Personal Roboport Mk2, then i must only use 25 bot.

Not quite.
I want 100 in total regardless the roboport setting,
The rest 75 bot is a combat backup and/or will be used for other thing (vehicle grid for example)

4 years ago

Well, I added a checkbox for that type of situation, since I suspected that was what you were trying to do.
Directly under
"Number of roboport"
there is a checkbox named
"Provide robots even when not receiving any roboports"

Check this one and you will receive the requested amount of robots + the ones you get from choosing number of personal roboports (that's 25 per each mk2)

4 years ago

I'll see if I can make this a little more intuitive in future updates

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Consider another scenario:
Often i don't use vanilla bot for personal roboport construction.
I use different bot (sadly were not supported by your mod)
Anyway, let's say i don't want vanilla construction bot and set it to zero, and yet i still got 25 bot.

My point is, no need to guess the minimum number of bot that user want to have based on their personal roboport count.
Those that use quickstart mod IMO is well aware how much a construction bot they need (or they don't need at all) in total including for personal bot.

Anyway, thanks !

4 years ago

I get your point, but at the same time one could argue that if you are using robots that aren't supported by my mod you will either have to do a console-command to get some of them, or use another quickstart mod. In that case you'll end up with conflicts either way, and you could then just put unwanted stuff in a box and blow it up.

The other solution is that I try to implement support for that particular mod, which I would gladly do. May I ask which mod you prefer for robots?

At the moment my mod support bots from Bob's, Pyanodons and Yuoki. But you don't get it by setting the bots to 0, you have to choose from which mod the bots should be provided. If you are trying to get robots from one of these mods then the reason you get 25 vanilla bots is because you havn't changed that setting.

I know that there are players out there, using quickstart mods, who doesn't know exactly what they want when they start up a new game, therefore I prefer that the mods does some of the work for the player. But there is always room for improvement, and I'll definitly consider you're suggestion for coming updates.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

While i want to add a request for a different mod bot, i'm very well aware that mod (more than 1) is not a time proven mod (different maintainer, different fork, etc).
Unlike Big mod like Bob, Youki, Pyonodon, even if the current author quit modding, someone will took over the mod.

So i don't wan't asking for adding something that's probably short lived to you.
At the same time there are many equipment related thing i want to add.

So, how about like this. There's input box where user can add any "custom" equipment they want ?
The input would be the entity-id, not localized names, separate by comma for the amount we want, and semicolon for other entity?
But of course, they also can be auto equip like your "native" support

That way, no need for you to maintain a list of numerous small mods.
It's up to user (that want to input their own custom stuff).
Of course, those that didn't want to add custom stuff can just ignore the option.

Example :
I use the "native" option for shield, roboport etc
But for the reactor & the bot i use from a small mod.

Is that make sense ?

4 years ago

That makes perfect sense. I will definitly add that, since that gives the more advanced users a lot more configurability. It'll take a couple of days, since I need to figure out how I could implement this to my code. But I don't think it'll be too hard, and as you said it'll probably be easier in the long run to maintain the mod, and keep it alive.

4 years ago

Thanks for the new custom entry,
I start new game A LOT to test many mod, this update is a really time saver. πŸ‘πŸ₯‚
No need to spawn with console anymore.

It seems the mod didn't attempt to insert custom equipment ?
No big deal, it's just 2 click away anyway.

A little bit suggestion regarding custom input tooltips,
Provide more than 1 example for user that want to add more than 1 item
I'm aware it's only need to be separated by blank space, just test it and it works just fine.

But just in case, some future user may ask about it.

4 years ago

I'm looking in to the possibility of having the mod add custom equipment to the grid. But the problem is that when I hard code the equipment in the mod I know the grid size of the item, so I need to extract that information from the custom item first, and then place it in the grid matrix. So it's a bit complicated, but not impossible.

It will take a bit longer and it demands quite a lot of testing. And the fact that the player can request custom items and then put it in manually makes this feature more of a convenience. So I'm looking into it, but it's still not certain that I'll implement it.

4 years ago

Disregard that, it's more of a report than a request.
Besides, the custom equipment usually comes with a quirk; the one who increase slot count, or even reduced the vanilla slot,
The one that alter slot size as 1x1
The one which reactor use fuel that need to be inserted before it can be used,
Etc and so on.

IMO, not worth your time, way to many variant of "rules", and probably only a very few people use it.
Sorry for confusion.

New response