Technology Overload

by RedRafe

Vanilla Factorio is too easy for you? Try the Fibonacci research cost! Take on the new challenges of Technology Overload, new ways to increase game difficulty! Technology cost tweaked in different ways to introduce new challenges and spice up your tech tree.

Tweaks
11 months ago
Manufacturing

g [Solved] Crazy tech costs?

1 year, 3 months ago
(updated 1 year, 3 months ago)

Thanx for the mod.
I really want a good mod with inversed tech costs, so I was very excited for the "funnel" option of this mode. By description, it should make early techs more expensive and not so quick to research, while not clogging late game with ridiculous numbers on research costs...
But it doesn't seem to work right. Out of the box, "funnel" mode gives me like 4200 red science cost for "automation" and 320k for "Atomic Bomb".
I have a number of different mods with their own research trees (not complete game overhauls, mind you; no krastorio/angels or such stuff).
So my thoughts are... this shouldn't be the case judging by the description.

What I was expecting (hoping?) for was:
something like 100 red science for "automation" (~10x normal cost) and around 5000-6000 science for "Atomic bomb" (1x vanilla cost).
Is there a way you could make some linear reverse exponents for all techs? Maybe it shouldn't be as complex as Fibonacci-stuff. Would really enjoy just some basic multipliers and exponents...

edit:
I also couldn't bring down the crazy tech costs with mods settings. The multipliers and exponent there are Integer, don't except decimal. So I tried changing them to Double myself. That made it possible to put something like "0.05" multiplier, but this still doesn't solve the issue that the basic techs are very cheap, and late techs are obesely expensive... (talking about "funnel" mode)

1 year, 3 months ago

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

There's one diclaimer I have to get out first: the funnel mode is auto-computed by the algorithm, and it's based on the inversed depth. This means, that even if atomic-bomb, silo, or other tech are the "last one" you research on that branch, since the previous tech are shared between all tech deep down to automation, it could happen that that particular last tech of the branch is actually located at (LAST_LEVEL - N) looking at the complete tech tree, so it gets multiplied by N (again, even if you see it as last tech of that branch).

That said:

1. I reckon 20k science packs for automation is not fun and I probably should exclude automation from the computation or give it a max value (e.g. 10-100-1k packs?) that cannot be bypassed, since it's handcrafted. This for sure is something that I care to fix!

2. Float multipliers: using integers has prevented many bugs and deadlocks in the code since it's safer. I'll see if I can make it work with floats too, but I cannot guarantee anything upfront since there are many modalities and mod compatibility to take in account, but I'll try. Allowing float multipliers will allow a better finr tuning of the difficulty, as well as making "reverse exponents for all techs" as you requested since the costs get actually divided :)

I can't promise much on the final values of "Atomic bomb" foe example, since it's based on the absolute depth of the research in the tech tree, but I'll look into it to see if there are any tweaks to make it more user-friendly :)

If there are other concerns or you belive I skipped something, please let me know again, thanks

1 year, 3 months ago
(updated 1 year, 3 months ago)

Released v0.1.4 with the fixes. Managed to squeeze in double settings, there was an error on the exp function that always computed the square value so automation vas multiplied by 324x instead of 18x, now the initial cost is 180 (a bit over 100, but I guess it's still doable so I wont enforce any limit forn now). Endgame costs are about 2k, 4k, 6, 10k and 20k for techs, and these values are in line with what I expect them to be, and also reasonable. Have a look and let me know if there are any other issues :)

This thread has been locked.