Adds more tanks and tank related ammo

Content
6 years ago
0.13 - 0.15
Combat

i Combine Hydra and Flamethrower tank

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I was thinking the Hydra and Flamethrower tanks are too much of a gimmick with only one weapon. The original tank and the Goliath heavy tank are both generally better because of their versatility. If the Hydra tank had both a rocket and a flamethrower weapon, it would be a special and versatile tank worth using.

Here's my suggestions for the tank lineup, if you're interested (feel free to ignore it):

Perseus: costs red/green science only, prereq. military 2, +100% damage bonus machine gun, faster and more agile than basic tank. Its machinegun is the same power as the basic tank and it moves faster so sometimes it may have late game use.

Basic Tank: same as current 0.15 version

Hydra: rockets, flamethrower with longer range and higher damage than player flamethrower, maybe takes its own special ammo, tank is slow-moving but fairly agile, resists explosives and fire -- maybe even give it a shotgun basic weapon to vary it further from other tanks. Shotgun also fits its style of spreading damage around.
Edit: after playing with the handheld flamethrower a bit, I decided its damage is already plenty high enough and it would probably be better to give the tank flamethrower a bigger spread radius, so it's easier to blanket large areas in fire.

Goliath: 2 cannons, gatling gun, slow and clumsy, very heavy and with high impact resistance so it can plow through worms and spawners without taking damage -- would be cool if it got a depleted uranium ammo for the gatling gun O.O

I can't wait for the 0.15 update!

7 years ago

Hi thereaverofdarkness,

Thank you for all your suggestions some of what you are suggesting is already implemented in a local test version I'm play testing right now, such as the Perseus and flamethrower(spread) changes. Combining the hydra and flamethrower tank does not really sound that good to me (mostly due do the graphics that will look weird when a hydra tank will start firing a stream of flames :P. The normal tank now having a flamethrower looks weird to me as well but that is up to the Factorio devs) but I am balancing those to make them useful next to the other tanks and give them a bit more punch when playing solo.

I'm still experimenting with the Goliath tank on balance and maybe incorporating a new type of gun that is very slow firing but does a lot of damage.

I'l be doing more testing this weekend so I hope to release a new version as soon as possible.

New response