Adds more tanks and tank related ammo

Content
6 years ago
0.13 - 0.15
Combat

i Include Light Tank earlier in tech tree

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I like the idea of the light tank a lot, but I just don't find myself using it much. I occasionally use it for getting around just because it's faster than the regular tank but still crushes trees, but I'm not actually using it for combat. By the time I get the thing, I'm one tiny research away from the vanilla tank which has a much better weapon.

I had a couple ideas to make the tank have more usefulness:

1.) Include it earlier in the tech tree
The light tank currently costs blue research and is one step before the medium tank. Since it's essentially just an armored car, why not have it become available with only red and green science, or just include it with the car in the vehicles tech. I often set oil generation low in my games, so part of the game I must explore to find oil. Often I wish I had a tank, but I have to find oil before I can get one.

2.) Give it a 50% damage bonus
The vanilla car and tank have a machinegun installed which is identical to your own assault rifle, and one of the major problems with the weapon is the bullet resistance of medium and larger biters, but also that it runs through ammo like a rocket burns through fuel. If it had a damage bonus, it would save ammo while also dealing higher DPS, especially to medium biters and up. It would not overshadow the medium tank since that has a powerful cannon, but at least the light tank, with only its machinegun, can have its own special advantage that makes it worth using beyond just how it drives.

7 years ago

Factorio 0.15 is going to change a lot of thing and the mod will need rebalancing for it. I will most certainly test/use your suggestions because I feel the light tank needs more use in the early game. Thx for taking the time to write this.

Issue on github: https://github.com/vlczero/Tankwerkz/issues/2

Sweet! I look forward to the 0.15 update!

I realized a bit more info:
Tanks require Automobilism and Military 3, and Military 3 requires Laser and Rocketry with both have a bunch of other requirements.
If the Perseus Light Tank required Automobilism and Military 2, it would be ahead of the car, but well behind the medium tank. You could also call it an armored truck instead of a light tank, in order to distinguish it from tanks. Or the "Tank" could be renamed "Cannon Tank" to set it as a later tank, and the light tank research could be called "Tanks", with the medium tank research called "Cannon Turrets" or something.

New response