SubTerra

Adds a subterranean layers and special entities to transfer items, players, and power between levels..

Overhaul
4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

g my Fps died

5 years ago

when the mod is aktived my fps goes dont from 70+ to 3

5 years ago

and gamecrash

5 years ago

same here -.- i´m down to 1,5 frames! and 2 ups!
then crash ....
Error while running event
subterra::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
subterra/scripts/events/generation.lua:25:
atempt to inex field ?(a nil value)

it was a fresh map start -.-

5 years ago

That crash was caused by some old code that I missed when I added the ability to configure the max depth of the world and just happened to not effect my test worlds. It has been fixed (I hope) in v0.4.1.
The FPS hit will always happen for a few minutes in a new world (or a world that Subterra is added to) until initial the chunk generation finishes. (On my laptop, it takes about one minute to calm down when max depth is set to the max of 4) This severity of the FPS hit will be proportional to the number of underground layers enabled (Configurable in the Mod Settings). Essentially, Subterra is generating a new "world" for each layer (called a "surface" in the API) and there are additional things that it does to the underground chunks, like remove all decoratives, ores, trees, etc. each which cost additional CPU cycles. So if all 4 underground layers are enabled then the game has to generate 5 times the chunks it normally does, and four of those chunks required additional processing.
If you add SubTerra to a world that already has many chunks generated you will see a FPS hit for much longer because it has more chunks to generate at that time than a new world.

That said, once the initial chunk generation is done, you should not notice a FPS hit unless you are exploring very very fast (which in the base game can only happen using commands or in sandbox).

I am exploring some methods to spread this initial workload out, we'll see how that goes.

5 years ago

Oh, and thanks for posting the error message. That helped me zero in on the issue quickly, though I won't know for sure until I get home to test more.

5 years ago

ok now it works ...BUT... the underground starts to "build up" the floor is at first a copy of the one above even the lakes/seas but without trees or clutter.

placing rails and testing out the undergroundtrain.
the floor was still a copy of the one above, till to the point where i tried to place a warehouse (wanted to know if they are possible to place..sadly not) the ground started to slowly change to the gray it should be and the water bodies obtic changed too
(first layer tested only)
oh...and switching between over and underground still kicks down FPS/UPS for some minutes under 5fps/ups

5 years ago

As I understand it, water is still supposed to show up in the first underground level. But not in higher ones.

5 years ago

got still only 1-10 fps

New response