Space Factorissimo

Continuation of Space Factorissimo by Shadox for factorio 1.1. Important! Do not update to >1.0.0 verstions for old saves. notnotmelon's fork is not compatible with MagmaMcFry's Factorissimo2 mod. This is safe for new saves.

1 year, 8 months ago

g Feature Request: Space version of the 2 smaller factory types

1 year, 7 months ago

Per my understanding the gravitized version of the factory already permits the smaller versions of the land factories inside it, since they themselves are land factories, but I can't see an option for space versions of the two smaller factory types. I tend to use Factorissimo's recursion functionality to segregate sections of a factory housing a large production chain, or to permit substantial scaling of the output of a given factory building by turning it into a nested factory instead, but this largely depends on the ability to nest the smaller buildings inside a larger one (or even one of the same size).

For example, for the first use-case, my oil-production build is one medium-sized factory building housing a total of 6 small-sized factory buildings: two that turn oil into petroleum, one that turns that petroleum into plastic, one that turns the petroleum into sulfur, one that turns that sulfur into batteries and sulfuric acid, and one that takes some of the oil input and uses advanced processing on it, turning the heavy oil into lubricant, the light into solid fuel, and the petroleum output to the others that use it. The floor of the outer medium is then used to route the inputs and outputs to/from chests on the outside of the outer medium, as well as barrel some of the crude oil, petroleum, light oil, heavy oil, lubricant, and sulfuric acid for use elsewhere in my outside build. Being able to segregate portions of that build in smaller factories inside is critical to making this viable.

For the second use-case, if my plate-forging factory isn't keeping up, I pick it up and put down a new (empty) factory of the same size in its place, then put the original plate-forging factory down inside the new one, alongside 1 or more copies of that same plate-forging factory, and route additional belts into the new (outer) one to handle the increased consumption, allowing that single exterior "plate-forging" building to consume and produce, in some cases, at the equivalent of about 9 because it actually has those 9 nested inside it).

This is quite a bit more difficult to do with only the largest sized of the factory buildings available for space builds, because the interior of those is often quite a bit more space than I need, and the exterior is quite a bit larger than I'd like to consume for that portion of the build.

1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you for the request!

This has been on my radar for a while now, and I've actually already got the code written for the 2 smaller factory types. I've just been trying to take some time and learn how to use blender to make my own art for the 2 smaller factories but after a summer of unsuccessful attempts, I might just use a recolored version of the original t1 and t2 factories if I can get permission.

1 year, 7 months ago

Ah, yes, the graphics side. The area of modding and general application development that I have zero skill with >.> Honestly, when trying to cobble together a version of the two smaller ones locally (which I couldn't quite nail down, hence the feature request), I definitely was just going to re-use the Factorissmo graphics, though it is proper to get permission for a public version (also, thank you for thinking of that and seeking that permission! Too often, people just assume open source = everything can be used freely).

Any chance you could push the code for those to your github (with an empty placeholder tag, or a placeholder path to where those files would live if they existed)? I'd like to use it locally whilst permission (or suitable alternative graphics) are obtained, and just seeing the changes required to add them (and especially, the surface interactions and collision layer changes) would be quite edifying on my modding journey.

1 year, 7 months ago
(updated 1 year, 7 months ago)

It's already on my github. You can find what you're looking for in data.lua. For the graphics, I'll add placeholder graphics in a few days. The GravFactory isn't quite done yet but the framework is in place already so you can basically copypaste the existing space factory. Other than that, there needs to be a migration because the current space factory is named space-factory-1.

1 year, 6 months ago

How usable is the current version up on github? Getting to the point in my playthrough where I could actually start using these and I was thinking about holding off on making buildings until this was ready

1 year, 6 months ago

Sorry for the late response, not very usuable at the moment. I would wait until the factorissimo2 fork updates or see this thread https://mods.factorio.com/mod/space-factorissimo-updated/discussion/62f24d587d4d88d0f006c738
which has a fix for the compatibility issues with SE in the current version here.
The version on github is currently incomplete and would probably not work.

6 months ago
(updated 6 months ago)

I coundn't find smaller factories in the current version,did I missed something?

New response