Social Distancing Beacons

Beacons can't be placed within each others' distribution range. An alternative to beacon interference mechanic.

Content
8 months ago
Manufacturing

i Krastorio 2 compat?

7 months ago

I know you mentioned in the description that K2 Singularity Beacons aren't affected, but was there a reason for this? I'm looking for exactly this mod but with K2 compat :(

7 months ago

It's because I have no idea how to balance it to be honest. Can you provide me with some suggestions to how to balance a small beacon with short range?
By the way, this mod being not compatible with SE is because I can't disable the beacon interference mechanic on their side. Factorio mods are sandboxed and can't influence each other both sides agrees to.

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

SE is understandable since it has its own workaround for beacon spam, and I know Erandel is a bit prickly about mods messing with SE. But I don't know if Singularity beacons need special changes for this mod, since theyre supposed to be stronger beacons anyway. Due to their extra distribution effectiveness and smaller footprint (assuming you doubled them to 1.5x like you doubled vanilla beacons) combined with their smaller footprint they'd still be a distinct upgrade to regular beacons even when both are limited to 4/building max.

Idk if you think singularities would be too weak or too strong with this mod, and I dont think either would happen but:

If you want to make them stronger beyond just doubling their distribution effectiveness, you could:
1. shrink their range to a range of 1 to make them still kinda spammable and shrink build footprint and lean into the "really small beacon thats expensive in large builds but more powerful" idea
2. bump their distribution effectiveness even higher (2x would be kind of insane tho)
3. give them an extra module slot

If you want to make them weaker:
1. make their range larger to make 4 beacon layouts more difficult and non-compact
2. not quite double their distribution effectiveness (1.25?)
3. make them more electricity costly (probably should be done anyway since default singularities are less energy costly than your current version of regular beacons)

7 months ago

This mod does not touch any stat of the singularity beacon right now, and I think the first one would be ok, except I think I'd nerf the singularity beacon, but make them not interfere with normal beacons?

7 months ago
(updated 7 months ago)

Nerfing singularity beacons a bit but making them overlap would be super cool I think! Whatever way you decide to implement them I do hope you do, will be watching this mod with interest

Though allowing both beacons and singularity beacons to affect the same building would probably end up recreating beacon grids, more compactly but still

6 months ago

Sorry for disappearing off the face of the earth, was tinkering with my 3d printer last 2 weeks and didn't have time for modding. Might take a look on how to implement this this weekend.

New response