Simple Landfill Mining

by Nauviax

Lets players mine landfill so you can fix those mistakes you make.

Tweaks
1 year, 6 months ago
Environment

g Landfill Painting compatibility

9 months ago

Hi there, first of all I wanted to thank you for your work on this mod, it solves a real problem in a nice and simple way.

I've recently started a playthrough of SeaBlock (with their official modpack), where I noticed the mod does not seem to work, no landfill can be removed. I suspect that's because the modpack includes Landfill Painting (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LandfillPainting) which replaces the vanilla landfill item with several custom tiles, which this mod doesn't pick up.

It would be great if this mod would have support for said tiles, so that Landfill Painting (and by extension SeaBlock) players can enjoy this neat mod :)

9 months ago

The problem with Landfill Painting is that the extra landfills it adds aren't actually landfill, but just base game tiles. My mod changes base landfill to effectively be a tile that gets placed over other tiles, which is why placing and mining concrete on landfill will delete the landfill and just leave water.

Supporting Landfill Painting would mean making all those base tiles into mineable landfill, including ground generated from the start of the game. I'm not sure what would happen if you mined these tiles, either it would spawn water or lab tiles wherever you mine, or just simply crash because there isn't any tile "below" the normal tile. (Normally, the water tile is below)

I could add support if that mod added the new landfills as new separate non-world-gen tiles, but the point of that mod is to be able to place matching tiles in the first place, so unfortunately I don't see that happening.

That being said, if you use the "landfill" type landfill from the Landfill Painting mod, it should still be mineable. If you place landfill over grass (Or other landfills added by the mod) it should still be able to be mined and result in the previous tile correctly (Which can and will be the other types of landfill, if they were there previously)

9 months ago

Thank you for the swift reply. Its unfortunate adding support for Landfill Painting isn't as simple as I thought it would be, but it indeed doesn't seem feasible. I think I'll just disable the mod altogether (if it has the necessary migrations in place), or start using the "landfill" type as you suggested. Thanks!

New response