Set Spawn

Commands to manage player/force spawn point

Utilities
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i Icon/shortcut, independent MP spawn points

4 years ago

This mod is a competitor for the https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SpawnControl mod.
It needs a way for simple usage, like a GUI button (it must be smaller than SpawnControl's) or a shortcut.

Also, it would be good, if it could allow to set independent spawn points for multiplayer (I don't know, maybe, your mod already does that, though).

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

This mod is a competitor for the https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SpawnControl mod.
It needs a way for simple usage, like a GUI button (it must be smaller than SpawnControl's) or a shortcut.

The commands are pretty simple already, as you can use [gps] tags created by Ctrl+Alt+Click to specify an exact location fairly easily.

As stated in another thread and the description, the scope of this mod is intended to be limited to a command interface. I can consider adding a small GUI, but I'm not fond of the idea of permanently dedicated screen-space for a mod this small, so it would have to be a GUI that can be brought up some other way. I haven't looked at the GUI documentation yet, so I'm not sure what is and isn't possible.

It's something I will look into and consider though; thank you for your input.

Also, it would be good, if it could allow to set independent spawn points for multiplayer (I don't know, maybe, your mod already does that, though).

Curiously enough, I replied in a thread for the very same mod that you linked here regarding this feature. As I said there, it can (currently) only be done with a non-ideal workaround. If there's enough demand I could add it as an optional setting.

The obvious caveat to that workaround would be that you can't have per-player spawns and be on a team with others.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

It's not the the first time at factorio forums I encounter the weird statement that "something is already simple enough". Using commands may be simple for you, but it's not for, say, my kids and my parents who also play factorio. Also, you might also take into consideration, that not all players speak english to read your manual for the commands. A shortcut button with a translatable string could solve this.

As for the per-player spawn - couldn't the global spawn point be simply substituted to a player's personal one, when the player dies, or, better, before the player respawns?

But it's just my 2 cents. I already appreciate your attempt to make the game better.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

It's not the the first time at factorio forums I come across with the weird statement that "something is already simple enough". Using commands may be simple for you, but it's not for, say, my kids and my parents who also play factorio.

It's a subjective statement sure, but I'd hardly call it "weird" that people express what their threshold of simplicity is; after all, that's what you've just done on another's behalf here. I digress, however, as I never intended that statement with ill-will in the first place.

Again, I'm not totally opposed to the addition of a GUI, it just needs to be unobtrusive, as a mod that adds such a small feature has no need to demand an ever-present button taking up screen space. I was just sitting down to work on some Factorio-related things, so I can take a peek at the GUI documentation sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Also, you might also take into consideration, that not all players speak english to read your manual for the commands. A shortcut button with a translatable string could solve this.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/setspawn/discussion/5d075ab15416e4000c30a8b3
English is the only language I know beyond an elementary level; the best I could do by myself would be machine translations. If you speak another language, I'd be very grateful for a PR.

As for the per-player spawn - couldn't the global spawn point be simply substituted to a player's personal one, when the player dies, or, better, before the player respawns?

If I understand what you're getting at correctly, this could probably work in theory, though I'd be worried about race conditions caused by more than one player dying very close in time or even simultaneously; whoever "wins" the race could end up having another player spawn at their location, which could be inconvenient for whoever "lost" the race.

Though when I think about it, I could possibly combine your idea with my previously linked one. I could save each player's desired spawn point, and when they need to respawn, create and assign them a transient force with its spawn point set to the player's desired location, then delete the force and reassign their original force afterwards. Of course, if they never set a personal spawn it would simply fall back to their current force's spawn point.

This way, players could still be part of a permanent force and still have a personal spawn point. The only possible problem I can think of would be another race condition where they could be immediately damaged or killed by friendly turrets before their original force is reassigned, but that's something I'll just have to test; I imagine the game will likely process the changes quickly enough.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I used the word "weird" for the meaning of "mysterious [to my understanding]", as from my side the discussion looks roughly like "I need a simplier way -- No, noone needs a simplier way". I guess, the word has another meaning for the native speakers. Don't take offence.

A shortcut button would not be something that occupies place permanently (yes, I don't like the 0.16 permanent button in the competitor mod too. And that's why I am addressing you to see, if you could use the new 0.17 feature). I am speaking about those customizable shortcuts in the down-middle portion of the screen.

As for the translation, well, ok, I am a guy who maintains a small translation mod for russian locales. But, to be sincere, I translate only the mods, which I use for my family server. And that takes us back to the problem with a simplier way to use the mod.

New response