Research Causes Evolution Updated for 1.1

by GrimerX

Biter evolution factor is set by progress through the research tree.

Tweaks
2 years ago

g What's the idea behind this mod?

2 years ago

As the title suggests, I am wondering about the thought process behind this mod. Counter arguments are that research costs resources and power, both of which already produce pollution. Why would you want to "double dip" on the evolution factor?

I read through the original mod's information which states that it removes evolution factor from everything except resources. Isn't this abusable by just hoarding all the outposts' resources and create giant factories with the bare minimum research? "If I research piercing ammo then I do more damage, but biters have more health if I research it so why would I bother?" is another kind of question.

Maybe I'm just not looking at it correctly so that's why I'm asking.

2 years ago

It's more to help balance progression in games with large modpacks - for example Pyanadon's will take you - lots - of hours before you can even defend yourself. Or if you want to play with biters but not so much racing against the clock.

For me playing with BA and Py the biggest issue I hit is not seeing really what the enemy balance is until you are 40-100hrs into a map. This can help.

The original author has some notes about what they wanted to achieve, you can read the forum thread as well if you want more detail.

It may or may not be for you in any case :-)

Cheers,

GrimerX

2 years ago

Ah right, I didn't take modpacks into consideration that extend the early/mid game and otherwise don't touch biter balance. That's a solid argument.

This thread has been locked.