Recursive Blueprints

by DaveMcW

Automate blueprints to build a self-expanding factory.

Content
11 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Blueprints

g Can you put blueprints in blueprints?

4 years ago

I tried to make a small turret outpost that copies itself, thus lengthening my wall every time the nearest buffer chest fills.
Problem is, while it does 99% copy itself, the bots don't put a blueprint book into the copied deployer chest - even though I put copies of the relevant book in a provider chest nearby - so it doesn't grow beyond the first copy.

Is there some mod I should use, to let blueprints specify that they contain a book with a specific name?
I did a quick test, and requester chests don't seem able to specify a particular book to look for, either, so if I used those, it'd be a crapshoot whether a given outpost got the 'expand westwards' book or the 'expand eastwards' one...

(I do realize I can copy the book via the copy command, as long as they are connected by the same network - which they are - and that alternately I can put the deployer in a central location and simply vary the coordinate input. I just want to know whether this particular approach is workable or not before I rejigger all the logic. )

3 years ago

I used inserters ;p 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

3 years ago

Playing around some more, easier is to simply copy over the combinator with a new set of settings from the blueprint, pointing to a different blueprint in the book. That doesn't work for out of network roboports tho

3 years ago

I believe when Dave wrote this mod he eventually intended for the blueprint deployer to have logistic chest functionality, but at the current moment it is literally just a dupe of a steel-chest with a bit of extra code added on to it. I recommend using Blazespinnaker's suggestion

New response