Quarry

by Shylie

Mine ores without an ore patch. Probably compatible with any mod.

Content
5 years ago
0.14 - 0.17
Mining

g Balancing comments

7 years ago

I definitely like the changes you have made. I'm not quite sure the 1.4.0 nerf was really too harsh, basically free resources are pretty OP on their own so a long crafting speed / high power usage sounds like a good compromise. I haven't tested 1.4.2 / alien quarries yet but looks good so far with the crafting speeds, although alien quarry might be a tad OP again. Nerfing the module slots in general was really necessary though, i was thinking about mentioning that anyway. Maybe 3 slots for Mk3 and 4 for alien quarry might also be a good idea but i'd have to get that far to really say more.

Glad to see you working on this mod and trying to balancing it right, i do love it and the idea behind it!

7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I would feedback on whether I should make a whole new quarry mod for water world, make an addon, or build the quarry into water world, as water world depends on the quarry mod right now, ensuring that the game doesn't stall at some point due to inability to obtain resources.

One last thing:

Raise pollution amount
Lower pollution amount
Pollution amount is fine as it is

7 years ago

If anything you could modify certain things in case water world is installed, but i wouldn't write a whole new mod for it. Not sure what exactly you'd want to change though?

I would raise pollution - a miner has 0.1 emissions while quarries now have 0.03. While quarries have a higher power consumption relative to their speed, considering you'd be digging up resources, i think it should produce more. Personally, i would increase the emissions for the alien quarry from 0.03 to maybe 0.04 or something, and then for the lower tiers increase it further up until 0.1 for the mk1 quarry that it's at least on par with a miner.

Some other things: I think the oil recipe is way OP as it is. I would raise the crafting time to maybe twice, or even four times what it is now. With 150 seconds and a crafting speed of 1 you get 0.16 oil per second which is still very good compared to (empty) pumpjacks, and that's ignoring how you're limited to rare oil fields with the latter. Also, so far the oil recipe unlocked from the start instead of with oil processing.

Also, regarding the scrap addon mod but scrap stack size is way too low. I increased it to 400 myself and am happy with that. Anything below 200 is too annoying in my opinion. Also, i would suggest to merge the quarry mod with the scrap and alien addon, and just adding a config file where you can toggle those features.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I prefer having different mods for configurations as I find changing a config file is tedious, and not everyone might know how to do so.

EDIT: thanks for the report that oil is unlocked from start. will be fixed in next update. (forgot the enabled = false)

7 years ago

Also minor thing that's annoying: You can't replace quarries with different versions as it is, you have to deconstruct and build a new one.

7 years ago

So you want fast-replace? xd

7 years ago

Who doesn't? :P

7 years ago

Also, i think the cost for quarries are significantly too high. It takes pretty long to be able to get even just a decent production of Mk1 quarries going, and with the latest changes where you need 10 mk1 for a mk2 they're not really something you can afford any time soon either. I don't mind the alien quarry being expensive as an endgame goal and the mk3 being somewhat expensive too, but i would at the very least go back to 5x mk1 for a mk2 and probably 5x mk2 for a mk3 too. Similarly, i would reduce the cost of a mk1 a bit, maybe down to 40 plates / 20 circuits at least, maybe even 30 plates / 15 circuits, because it just takes so long to be able to afford them. In my current game i am already almost 5h in and i only have very few mk2 quarries, and it's just mostly waiting which is really boring - and that was all mostly before you made the mk2 even more expensive. As a corollary, it's also not easy to produce the vast resources required for landfill. (To be fair i play with another mod that makes solar panels produce much less power, but it's still an issue.) Screenshot of my base so far if you're interested: http://i.imgur.com/LT6fg6a.png

Also, personally i would remove the mk1 quarry for the mk3 recipe, and mk1+2 for the alien. Doesn't make too much sense to me to still use the lowest tier quarries for making an alien one.

TL;DR: Everything is just too slow. Reduce cost of Mk1 quarry. Go back down with quarries required for crafting higher tier quarries except alien.

7 years ago

Thanks.
My school blocks imgur, and I do most of my updates at school, so I can't view your screenshot, could you upload it somewhere else?

7 years ago

Also updated the screenshot, currently 7h20m in: http://oi65.tinypic.com/2nvfi37.jpg

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

>-< i think my school blocks that too

7 years ago

Pasteboard worked.

I didn't even try dropbox because my school blocks file hosting sites.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

i know this mod is going to be used with the water world mod so i decided to try both at the same time, i found that the timings seemed a bit off v1.4.3 so i decided to look into a few things, found that 2 mk1 quarry's couldn't even supply enough to ore to keep a single stone furnace supplied, thinking that the stone furnace was speed 1 and the quarry speed 0.5 thought it should work fine, but dug into the code a bit and found the reason for this is because the energy required for the quarry recipe was set higher than the energy required for the smelter, (energy 3.5) so i tweaked the energy requirements in my version for this play through to get the balance i wanted,
if anyone else is interested in this change 'prototypes/quarry-recipe.lua' shows the energy_required setting and can be adjusted there.
the alien (mk4) version works directly with the steel/electric version now,
matching the crafting speeds

suggest creating a change log in the main post to signify changes

7 years ago

This 'timing issue' is intentional. Changelog can always be found in the changelog.txt.

Thanks for your feedback!

7 years ago

intentional to make it more challenging perhaps, these are very slow machines and extremely expensive, water world is going to be very time consuming

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

11h in and i can say yes, yes it is. Machines are just too expensive, i would still reduce the iron cost of mk1 a bit, it takes forever to get some production going and i spend so much time just waiting, and getting landfill is too hard. I definitely would suggest a cheaper landfill recipe, 5 or 10 stone or something, with bit cheaper mk1 machines using many mk1 to expand production is an option then with more available land and you're not forced to go mk2 soon which just takes forever.

Still haven't even set up oil. And i've added landfill from scraps so at least expanding is a bit faster, which by the way i would suggest to add in the mod. I'm going with 60 scraps per landfill.

Also got a list of couple more things by now, mostly minor things. Quarry recipes are not in the quarry tab. I also would have suggested to fit quarry speeds to furnaces, as it is 2 mk1 are just short of feeding one stone furnace, so the same for 2 mk2 and one steel furnace, which is just slightly annoying. Also your scrap mod overwrites the old recipes so it changes the crafting times again, and the alien artifact recipe doesn't get scrap at all, not sure if that is intended.

And one more thing, that's just my opinion but i think there are too many ingredients for the recipes starting with mk3, like lower tiers of quarries plus both quarry corepieces mk1+2, that is just really awkward to produce with belts / without bots. I'd make it so like corepiece mk2 still depends on mk1, but remove the mk1 quarry from the mk3 recipe. Also not sure why there's an electric furnace in there but that's still 4 direct ingredients, many of which need to be made first themselves.

EDIT: So i wrote this before noticing 1.4.5 is out where mk1 quarries got a bit cheaper. I'd still go a bit further maybe. Again, early game will still be very slow as it is and it takes hours to get really started. As an alternative, make mk2 cheaper. 5 mk1 are a lot of stuff. The problem really is that to use many mk1 you need much land which is too expensive in the beginning so you do need mk2s at some point, but again expensive so it just takes long. See me having spent 11h on this map already and not having gotten very far.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I'll do something of the sort in the next update. :p
Thanks for the feedback, as always.

Also, poll:

Should i keep the prices, but add modifications to quarry inside the water world mod to lower prices? (so that prices are normal unless water world is installed)

7 years ago

Just lowering the cost for Water World is a good idea - on a regular map the cost is not as bad because you can start as usual and then later on switch to quarries as an endgame strategy. I like it.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

here is what i decided to do, tweeked from v1.4.3 for my play though of waterworld
- added mod cheaper landfills to help with expansion.
- added mod advanced electric to help with solars.

match energys (3.5 instead of 5)
reduce cost of quarys, costs 4 of previous version(instead of 10, and mk3,mk4 takes only the previous not all versions) along with the other stuffs, removed electric furnaces from applicable recipes. mk3 uses electronic circuits instead of advanced, and mk4 uses advanced instead of processors, reduced electronics circuits cost of mk1 from 30 to 10, mk2 takes 20, and mk3 takes 30, mk4 takes 20 advanced.
increased power usage to compensate for faster output

mk1: 10 iron plate, 10 electronic circuit - 80kW - speed 0.5
mk2: 4x mk1, 30 iron plate, 20 steel plate, 20 electronic circuit - 180kw - speed 1
mk3: 4x mk2, 50 steel plate, 30 electronic circuit - 290kw - speed 1.5
mk4: 4x mk3, 20 advanced circuit, 30 alien artifact - 450kw - speed 2

energy costs:
stone: 3 (original)
coal: 3 (reduced from 4)
copper ore: 3.5 (reduced from 5)
iron ore: 3.5 (reduced from 5)
crude oil barrel: 100 (reduced from 180) its still a bit slow tho

this is my suggestion to help

looking over new version 1.4.6 looks like you are now using a cheaper version, although i would suggest using cheaper versions only if waterworld was detected.
i haven't been belting any of these machines, just hand crafting them so far. but the recipes i have listed would be easily belt able.
for the new core pieces, it may work for some people though.

7 years ago

Good suggestions that i can agree with all around. I also think now that oil needs to be buffed a little, going from depleted oil wells is silly for the early game where you would have oil wells with decent output normally.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

EDIT: just finished reading the post completely. :p

Still needing more feedback on 1.4.6.

7 years ago

having played with this a bit more,(v1.4.6)
i still feel that mk3 should not need to have the electric furnace in the recipe, and should also use electronic circuits instead of advanced, negating the necessity to have oil running before usage.
also think mk4 should use advanced instead of processors. (so they are available sooner, and i usually have advanced, not processors on my tool belt where these will be made, otherwise i will bot the processors)
the speed delta now makes it almost the same as the changes i made to the energy levels, but makes you scratch your head more instead of direct comparison. as i prefer a more direct point of view, i request to have the energys balanced with speeds, instead of more head scratching.
mk1 is now too slow, making you want mk2 even more faster!
speed increases did not show increased power consumption
core pieces require making more machines when you automate them
drop in replacements make it easier to upgrade, or downgrade if you need the faster machines elsewhere, thank you for that.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I finally finished the playthrough. Took me pretty exactly 24h. I hadn't upgraded to 1.4.6 at the end (wouldn't have made much of a difference at that point anyway). So i was still playing with 5 mk1 quarries for 1 mk2 etc but i've looked at the 1.4.6 changes.

Final thoughts:
- definitely fit the recipe energies / crafting speeds to furnaces (3.5s for iron / copper). Also buff mk1 again to half mk2 so this still works out. Increase energy use to compensate. Philip017 had some decent suggestions about 4 posts up for energy usage.
- remove furnaces from quarry recipes
- start needs to be quicker. buffing mk1 to 0.5 speed back up will help. but still takes a while to be able to start producing quarries. would make mk1 quarries cheaper. I suggest going from 20 plates / 10 corepieces down to about 20 / 5 corepieces.
- i do like the corepieces instead of just needing raw materials. i had about 6 assemblers for them which could provide enough for making mk2 quarries (including the required 5 mk1). also makes providing the resources easier than before, 50 plates and 20 circuits raw input was quite silly
- needs cheaper landfill. otherwise it takes forever to spread out. 5 stone maybe. 10 at most. (some scraps comments: also i liked very much being able to build landfill from scraps. scraps in general need something to be processed into, like landfill, as it is you produce so much of it. which is also why it needs vastly higher stack size, i was happy with 400. it's hard to burn in steam, but i want to be able to go solar anyway so need a way to get rid of scraps)
- with 1.4.5 i haven't built a single mk3 quarry. didn't even think about alien. Just still not worth it at all for building a rocket. Much easier to expand and add more mk2 quarries, mk2 are expensive enough. i had one red belt of iron plates at the end and almost one red belt of copper plates, that took many quarries already but it was just enough to reasonably produce mk2 quarries. i could have gone to mk3 soon but the production rate wouldn't have been great.
You've made it cheaper now by reducing how many quarries are required for higher tiers which should help. Together with making the mk1 cheaper as i suggested above that sounds definitely better.

At the end building the rocket took about 1.5h with what i had.

Couple images with delicious spaghetti:
http://pasteboard.co/4VsHxswdr.jpg
http://pasteboard.co/4VtmnSblu.jpg
http://pasteboard.co/4Vu3t86K7.jpg

Edit: Tested the very early game with 1.4.6 and these changes and it's a lot better. Start is now much less frustrating with cheaper mk1 (5 corepieces) with 0.5 speed. For power usage i went with Philip017's suggestions, in the beginning power is bit short with one steam engine but that isn't necessarily bad. After 20 minutes still starting to be able produce mk1 quarries in reasonable speeds.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

finally finished with 25 and a half hours, i went with more bots and less spagetti, lol, advanced electric helped with space issues alot, and cheaper landfills helped with expansion

kenira that is quite a clean base you built, i didn't get a planned out base like i would normally, i just built here and there as needed and botted pieces everywhere, peak solar usage topped 1GW

note: i also changed water world also to give more than 1 boiler and steam engine, (i used the ideal, 1 pump, 14 boilers, 10 engines, and 100 coal)

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Thanks.
And it's funny you went with advanced electric, meanwhile i even used my mod RealisticPower to nerf solar panels a lot :P (5.4kW per panel), needed 2.5k of them to keep everything going until i got nuclear power going (Reactors).It did take a while to get so much landfill going. Just nice to see how different people like different play styles.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

So I'm worried about this being balanced for normal worlds right now.
I'd like some feedback on that too.

Also, I will try to update waterworld so that it changes the quarry mod a bit.

EDIT: half the fun in the water world is blowing up your spaghetti when it's no longer needed (i think, anyway) :p

7 years ago

i have played with got lag's reactors mod, and even made a blueprint able version that was simple to set up and ran flawlessly, but it does have lot of updates, which caused some performance issues on my server, and have not played with it in a while

but for solo play i could have used it with out issues, as my computer is alot more powerful than the cloud server.

i have used plenty of solar panels too in vanilla play but i find having to use less space more desirable.

as for the blowing up the spaghetti, i feel removing and rebuilding a better alternative using robots to do the work for you is best

6 years ago

Do you plan on updating the mod for 0.1.6 ?

New response