Ore Merchant

by RedRafe

Adds recipes to trade resource and materials for coins and buy back what you need

Content
1 year, 2 months ago
Cheats

i [TODO] configurable balance

1 year, 2 months ago
(updated 1 year, 2 months ago)

I like this mod, but it has strange balance: Why raw resources costs more than products?

Example:
10 Oil for 1 coin
1k light oil for 15 coin => 66 light oil for 1 coin
Advanced oil processing (AAI):
100 oil (+water) => 70 light oil => 70+15 light oil with post-process from heavy oil

Why post-products cost lower than pre-products?

Could you rebalance it?
I think it will be better to add something like a string field to settings (Startup tab) with JSON and with default empty value (empty string):

{ 'item-name': { coins: 10, count:100, time: 10},...}

and this json should replace your default values
where:

coins β€” (unsigned integer) costs in coins
count β€” (unsigned integer) producing products [item-name]
time β€” (float) time in seconds for the recipe

1 year, 2 months ago

Hi, thanks for the feedback! :)

Technically the costs are balanced, so each final product costs 1:1 as if you built it from raws. That said, some recipes appears to have the balance out, that's because if there are multiple recipes (i.e. oil processing), the value of a resource/product is established picking the cheapest exchange rate (that's why light oil seems so cheap).

It is unlikely that I will implement a string field to input the exchange rates, mainly because:

1. formatted string inputs are not user-friendly and Factorio does not provide a good-enough GUI to support that
  2. I'd have to parse the string field and there are too many things that can go wrong, and without the user being able to understand the errors. Especially since they occur at data stage, and each time something goes wring you'd have to reload the game, or maybe even enable/disable mods
1 year, 2 months ago

Either I hardcode each resource values, but this will result in:

• no mod compatibility
  • deep and exact knowledge of other mods
  • staying updated on compat. mods future tweaks that could throw off the balance

So I just implemented an algo that will auto-compute the cost of each resource, and take the most convinient exchange rate to estimate its value in coin currency. What I can do is add a coefficient to reduce the exchange, for example:

• buy 100 ores for 10 coins
  • sell 100 ores for 9 coins

Just to avoid ppl exploiting good or equal-value exchange rates because coin currency is pretty OP since you could go megabase just from raw ores to direct science haha

The balance of the mod is a bit off, seems too cheaty as its current state IMO. I'd like to make it harder/less cheaty so any suggestion is welcome

1 year, 2 months ago

I would prefer to auto-balance based on changed recipes values, not current static values in your mod.

P.S. Maybe I will have time and I will offer you PR into your code with that implementation...

New response