Nixie Tubes

Adds nixie tubes, for displaying values from a connected circuit network.

23 days ago
0.13 - 1.1

b 1 of 2: Bot-placing nixie tubes sometimes results in the contructed display being non-functional

2 years ago

INTRO: Same appreciation for your modding efforts that I described in my 1of2 post just previous to this one. Separate post here to avoid confusion between two separate issues.

ISSUE: MUCH less significant than previous issue. For this, I am reminded that ghost-placing and bot-constructing multi-digit numeric-only nixie tube displays "often" (...?) are non-functional until deconstructing-reconstructing the display (several apparent options for doing so).

I've simply decided to live with this issue for a very long time, more or less since I started using it a few years ago. My understanding is that this crops up when the various display-digit-positions are constructed in a random order WHEN ALSO they are placed at random times. For example, pretty much all of my usage is with 6-digit numeric displays (I have ideas to expand beyond that soon.) When all 6 digits are placed, in any order, but with less than ~4 total seconds elapsed for all six being placed, then the mod logic seems to digest that after a few ticks to understand which entity is responsible for which digit. I'm pretty sure that this logic-lag is roughly the same delay for a change in signal_value to be reflected (roughly ~240 game ticks, I think, at 60 ticks / second...?)

If the items are all placed before power is connected to the 10^0 digit -- the same rightmost ones-column digit that also receives the signal wire input -- then the display is simply dead, even once power and signal are supplied. Otherwise, the 0-value might display on an incorrect position, or even multiple positions.

Deconstructing-and-reconstructing (whether by bots or manually) seems to fix this issue. Some experimenting suggests that, usually, only the 10^0 location needs to be d-a-r'd like this, but I think I've had a few instances where this didn't work and I cannot be sure why that was the case. Generally, this is the only sucessful ongoing workaround, and it simply requires vigilance when placing from blueprints.

Is there another in-game workaround? Is this technically a "bug" with the mod?

Thanks!

INFO: Game
Base v1.1.39 (build 58937 win64)
Nixie_Tubes v1.1.2
Simulation_Helper v1.1.1
System
Windows10 v21H1 osbuild 19043.1165
i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
32.0 GB ram
~595 MB Factorio
~1400 MB other apps (mostly Firefox tabs)
~300 (?) MB other (67 Background Processes, 83 Windows Processes)

New response