MicroController

by ljdp

Program circuit network logic using FAL, a Factorio Assembly Language.

Content
5 years ago
Circuit network

i Saving entity custom data to blueprint

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

awesome mod !
i really appreciate your tons of work. and I'd like to make a small suggestion carefully.
if possible, one thing I would like to add is to let code(in micro-controller) stored in a blue print.
I am satisfied with current mode , but it will be more convenient if this function is added.
I just hope my proposal doesn't bother you. thanks!

5 years ago

I've had a look on the forums for how I can get this working. Looks like it is doable, although it's quite hacky. I'll try and get it in the next version.

5 years ago

still wonderful mod as it is. thanks !

5 years ago

I just wanted to add a +1 to this. I hope I will end up with lots of complex programs in various MCs, and the ability to blueprint them will be invaluable in distributing these throughout the factory.

Likewise, the ability to copy&paste with Shift-Right-Click and then Shift-Left-Click, as one can with vanilla combinators.

Thanks again.

5 years ago

yes, reallife computers only became successfull after they got external storage to quickly feed them different programs, starting with punch cards and paper tapes, later also cassette tapes and floppy disks, etc.

what about using some kind of ROM/PROM/EPROM (eg a series of vanilla constant combinators or maybe even storage from the DISK mod which hold signals for opcodes and operands) and an interface that can transfer and convert such signals to the internal program storage ? those constant combinators would easily be blueprintable ...

5 years ago

A big downside of requiring external modules for blueprinting is that it increases the required size for a given task, but only when it's blueprinted. So you end up with more entities required when you blueprint something than when you just place it down directly. And this would only apply to this mod, not to any vanilla or other modded entity.

Personally I consider blueprinting and copy-paste to be UI functions, rather than game mechanics. So I don't think they should be limited in any way, or 'gameified'. You should be able to make unlimited blueprints of entities, and copy-paste any entity, and it shouldn't require any research or resources or extra entities. That's how it is with all vanilla entities which I think is great.

But I do agree that external storage for MC could be really cool. And it could fit really nicely and easily into how MC already works, by having a storage device attached to a North or South port, like a FRAMM attaches.

I think I'll make another thread on that - good idea!

5 years ago

computers are something different from assemblers/machines (in real life). to set up a machine you mostly only need to put it down and plug it in for power, but a computer also needs a program that you either enter yourself every time you switch on the computer (i had to do that on my first one that i bought :-) or it gets the program and data from external storage. i didn't use the DISK mod extensively, but it should have the equivalent of 512(?) addressable constant combinators in onesingle entity for saving(!) and loading data. thus it would need some additional component at all, although only relatively few additional space for the setup, and lots of interesting options how to use it ingame.

real life fun fact: together with a friend, we soldered some additional ram chips onto the original ram of an apple ][+ to extend memory from 48 kb to 192 kb, coincidentally adding 144 kb of storage while a floppy disk could hold 140 kb. this left 4 kb of space to hold the additional software that was needed to do all the ramdisk handling (bank switching, copying, etc).
maybe with such a DISK extension to one of these MC we could do similar, swapping between the MC memory and the DISK and be able to have more than only 16 or 32 lines of code, virtually "almost unlimited" storage for programs and data :-) LOL

New response