MicroController

by ljdp

Program circuit network logic using FAL, a Factorio Assembly Language.

Content
5 years ago
Circuit network

i Requests for this great mod

5 years ago

I've been using this mod for a couple of weeks now, and I love it. I much prefer using this to set things up than building complicated logic using circuit networks. There are a couple of things I'd like to see, if this were to get updated. One of them I think would not be particularly difficult to implement:
- Increase the allowable number of lines. 16 is too few to do very much. Consider this example, it it finds 4 values on the circuit, whose types are stored in a ram block, and divides them by a value saved in the same ram block, and then outputs them via a second ram block:
fir mem41
div mem1 mem41
mov mem1 mem21
fir mem42
div mem1 mem42
mov mem1 mem22
fir mem43
div mem1 mem43
mov mem1 mem23
fir mem44
div mem1 mem44
mov mem1 mem24
jmp 1
That's 13 out of the available 16 lines to do a pretty boring task. I've got examples of offloading things to adjacent MicroControllers, but there's additional lines of overhead every time I include another MicroController, I cant jump to a specific line in the adjacent MicroController, and debugging code across multiple MicroControllers is a real pain. even just 32 lines would be OK. Don't worry about the GUI either. Above 5 or 6 lines I'm using an external editor and copy pasting anyway.

As for things that might be harder, but would be amazing:
- Number 1 would definitely be having the code in each MicroController be saved in blueprints. It sucks having to run around finding all the MicroControllers every time I blueprint something, and copy past the right code into each of them.
- A nice to have, would be a debugger of some kind, but the cost/benefit is probably not worth it I admit.

5 years ago

Another potential idea: A ROM module. placed like a RAM module, but all it does is increase the opcode limit, as per what I said above.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Hi, I also think16 is not enough for programming, so I have tried to increase it to 32. This is how is looks like now: https://imgur.com/a/O2y4VPN

However I don't know how to share the modified mod...

5 years ago

I've updated the mod to have 32 lines now, and there are also bitwise operations.

New response