Mapshot

by palats

Generates a zoomable render of the whole map.

Utilities
4 days ago
1.0 - 1.1

i Optimization for areas with user entities

2 years ago

Mapshots are sometimes quite large, with a lot of areas devoid of player creations, while still stored at the same quality as populated areas.

An optional feature I propose is to take the zoomed in screenshots only in areas that have user entities somewhere in the vicinity, possible reducing quality the farther away it is from user's entities.

This can be probably done with count_entities_filtered{position=position, radius=some_radius_based_on_zoom_and_configuration, force=the_user_force}

If the savings are good enough, it can allow higher resolution images where it matters more. On the viewer side, it might require falling back to the lower resolution versions if the higher resolution isn't available.

Thanks for the mod, it's very nice and useful way to share renders of bases.

2 years ago

That is indeed a good idea. I've opened https://github.com/Palats/mapshot/issues/23 to record that suggestion. I wonder how efficient querying Factorio in many places would be, but I suspect that would not significantly change the whole generation time anyway (and Factorio is quite optimized).

[just to be clear - I am not particularly working on mapshot at the moment, so I have no plans for now to work on it]

New response