Manual Inventory Sorting

Makes some tweaks to the way inventory sorting works. You can sort your inventory on demand or toggle auto-sort. It's also possible to sort chests, cars and cargo wagons.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

g UPS/FPS issues

7 years ago

Just wanted to mention that after much hair pulling and frustration, I have identified this mod and specifically the 'automatically sort player inventory' setting to be the cause of some fairly major performance problems.

I was routinely seeing my FPS dip down to ~40 or so (down from a perfect constant 60) whenever standing on a belt and picking up items, or immediately after issuing a deconstruction command and having a fleet of pocket bots leave and bring back items. The issue it seems is that every time there is a change to the player inventory, even 1 item, the mod seems to be doing some fairly extensive calcs to sort the inventory. For now I have just disabled that setting, but it is difficult to adjust to not having a sorted player inventory. I used to use the built in Factorio 'auto sort player inventory' setting, but I really like how this mod allows you to ctrl-Q a chest and organize those as well. It is a tough call...

Anyway, just thought I would mention it in case anyone else runs into this issue.

7 years ago

Yeah, there are some problems with that...
It's because of the way I have to sort the inventory - there is a temporary chest being placed and destroyed every time the inventory gets sorted. That's not an issue if you sort manually all the time but in your scenarios it can cause trouble.
I'll see if I can do something about it but for now, if you only want to sort chests you can just leave the games auto-sort on and the one from the mod off. It should still allow you to sort chests that way.
Cheers TRK

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Ok, I uploaded version 1.5 where the automatic sorting is limited to once every 10 ticks so it should be much less demanding.
I'm in the middle of a major rewrite though, so I hope there aren't going to be many issues...

7 years ago

This mod cause serious lag issues and performance drop .... too bad because its so usefull otherwise...

7 years ago

Is it when using autosort? I don't think it should be too bad otherwise.

New response