Content
2 years ago
Trains

g Train Length

3 years ago

How do you handle train lengths?

3 years ago

Good question, I don't.

I was thinking of adding train length limits, but I couldn't come up with a good solution for user interaction.

There are two ways I could think of, but I don't like either:
- some sort of sequence in the stop name, maybe using LTNs signals (for example: [max-train-length][signal-1][signal-0] could represent max train length of 10)
- or to switch to LTNs stations.

Both have problems. More signals in the stop name just make it unreadable and Optera's license doesn't allow for copying of the code. This means I would have to reimplement a large part of train stop management myself (which I don't really want to do :D).

So in short, if you, or anyone, can come up with a good user interaction process, I'll gladly implement it, but for now no train length settings.

3 years ago

Soo.. a little update, I may have found another way. Optera provides some useful events for when an LTN stop changes configuration.

I might be able to get enough data from that to basically highjack LTN stops without the need to rewrite their logic. I'll post any updates on this here.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

One complete rewrite of the scheduler later and we have working train length limits (plus I added support for train networks).

I'm still testing the new code, but it should be ready in a few days.

3 years ago

It's released, check out the information page for more info

New response