Logistic Research Fix

Removes the production and high tech science pack requirements from the Logistic System research.

Content
6 years ago
0.15 - 0.16
Logistic network

g Not a fix. More like "Easy Logistic Research"

6 years ago

Or Logistic Research Fix for weaks.

6 years ago

You are not forced to use it... move along if it don't suit you instead of taking the piss

6 years ago

"I mock other people to compensate for my tiny ego." ~Kailife

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

You can't fix it if it's not broken. But you call this mod a fix, as if something is not right. The game has become a little more difficult, deal with it, or don't call your easy mode mods a "Fix".

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I would not call that spike in difficulty "little".

0.14 blue science was difficult to get started (maybe two or three times harder than green) but once you had just a few blue science machines, you could start doing bots and do everything more efficiently.

0.15 blue science is easy, barely a step or two above green, but you don't get requester chests from it. Meaning you're stuck with belt chaos until not even purple science, but gold science.

The steps in between are evened out, but the amount of setup required to automate all of these additional science packs requires A LOT more space than before. At least double, maybe triple the amount of space to get any amount of these science packs. It's to the point where logistic network is almost moot and comes so late in the game, that there's nothing left for it.

It's a similar problem to get electric furnaces; you either build a huge coal-powered smelting setup in order to generate enough resources to research it quickly (but by then you might as well just keep using the existing setup) or you try not to waste too many resources on steel furnaces by building smaller smelting setups, and end up taking forever to get to electric furnaces.

But at least the furnace problem is remedied by the fact that you will eventually need to expand smelting, as 0.14 blue science was only about 50-70% up the tech tree. 0.15 gold science is REALLY near the end of the tech tree, maybe 80-90% of the way, up so there's hardly anything left for bots to do by that point. Unless you feel like tearing down the whole thing.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

tl;dr I'd be fine pushing it down to purple science. That would make it take slightly longer than just blue, but there would be still be gold science to automate with it. Perhaps a suitable middle ground.

Maybe add as a config option?

6 years ago

This mod is not a fix, its going easy mode.

At first I agreed with this mod being a "fix" because I was bummed as well by the lack of requester and active provider chests. But hear this: That change makes robotics actually much better.

With only TWO science packs you can already setup roboports and let robots build your blueprints and let them resupply your inventory, TWO packs is much earlier than before.

With only a single 3pack research you can carry your own robot hanger with you and let robots you carry with you build the stuff with things from your inventory instead of waiting for the roboports drones to build it for you.

Now why is this great? MUCH EARLIER robotics, its much more beginner friendly (doesn't overwhelm new players with the complete logistics network packet, its sliced into 3 parts) and again MUCH EARLIER robotics.

If you want the full automatic logistic system you can still rush science packs (produce them yourself if needed) to gete your requester chests early, but this change actually makes a slight progress system into the logistics system and makes it better.

Instead of researching one thing and "BAM, here is your logistic system, have a nice day" its now like the rest of the game, build and improve stuff, rework your base bit by bit.

6 years ago

Have to try it, because the logistics research thing is really annoying. In addition to upping the requirements in packs, they also forgot (which makes this feel a bit too-little-thought-out) to add Advanced Materials Processing 2 and Advanced Electronics 2 to the required techs. But you need those for purple and yellow.

5 years ago

No it's a fix. The old research values for getting Requesters and such were way better, the devs fucked it up by requiring high-level science packs to get them.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Sorry for the necro....
I'm inclined to agree. The logistics network now locked behind gold research. My factory is pretty much done at that point. If I was to use bots I'd basically have to rip it all down and "bot-ify" it. So in the end I don't use bots at all because the logistics network is waaaaaayyyy too late in the game for it to make an impact. Great for transitioning to megabase I suppose - But I'm not that kind of player. So locking logistics network behind gold might as well have been removing it from the game.

That said - This isn't really a complaint.

I'm so used to playing and finishing without bots over the last two years that I don't really miss them any more.
I just wonder whether that was the devs intention. Put the logistics network so late in the normal game that it is specifically only for those who want to transition to a megabase?

(I don't and won't use mods. I can't get my head around them not being cheating. I play the game as it's dealt or not at all)

New response