Leighzer's Science Ores

Adds new ores that can be processed directly into science packs.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Mining

i Changelog format

4 years ago

Changelog tutorial

Makes it possible to see what happens via the in game mod browser. That way I could see if the update is related to my suggestions directly when I see that it has been updated. Just a suggestion from a fan who is considering starting his science ore playthrough when you have decided on if packs are mined directly from patches or not and if the recipies will use Morphite instead. :)

4 years ago

I see now that the Morphite update added recipes for Morphite to science ores :) Nice.
Does this mean science ores wont give science packs? I get that Morphite transforming into other ores is fitting, but it feels a bit weird that the ores only have 1 recipe each. The ore fields can look the same even if they produce science packs. Either way you decide I'd like to know if I should wait for it or start now :>

4 years ago

Cool, didn't know the change log file would show up in game. Thanks I'll probably migrate over the logs soon.

As for the minable science suggestion. I think it is a very cool idea. I have decided to not integrate it directly into the science ores mod as in short it adds complexity as to the idea of what the mod does. I already have put quite a bit of work in fleshing out the science ore mod and have cemented the idea that it will add an ore for each science in the game, and that that ore can be directly processed into the science. That is the key idea I am going to stick with the mod. This way it keeps things modular, simple to understand, and easier to maintain.

I still think that directly minable science is a great idea. I think it would be best if it was its own stand alone mod. If that is something you would want me to implement I could do that.

I could try to whip something up fast that would work with vanilla. I can't guarantee how fast I can get it made. So if you are itching to start a new game I'd go ahead and start(probably would be able to tag on buried science mod mid game).

If you are curious about Morphite, I have also cemented the idea I have for that mod. It is an ore that can only be made into other raw resources. Basically it is a wild card raw resource that can be processed into any other "base" raw resource. It won't have any directly usable value. This again keeps things simple. Can always dream up other ores with interesting properties, production chains, and products.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and ideas!

4 years ago

Ok. I get your reasoning. I agree that Morphite should only be able to be converted to other basic resources. But I think anything minable should count as 'raw resource' instead of anything with the name 'ore' in its name. If I made Morphite I would try to generate the recipes based on what minable resources were in the game dynamically so that if you install All Minable or something then Morphite can become most intermediates too, since that mod makes them base/raw resources.

If you are planning a directly minable science pack mod then I'll wait for a while and see if it happens before I start my new map. And I guess I'll change to it from science ores if I run out of time q:

I'm also considering making an extended version of https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LootMilitaryScience depending on if I feel like it or not.

4 years ago

Ah, I see your point. Yes dynamic recipes would be nice, though, values of ores differ from mod to mod, and would often need to be defined by hand anyways. (Sure you could programmatically examine the recipe tree and try to generate balanced recipes, but I don't feel like writing that xD) I could see it as a fallback option, if a resource is detected, and doesn't have a recipe hand spec'd, generate a default one.
As for Morphite to anything in the ground, yes in a way they are raw resources, but in another way they aren't. I suppose in my mind Morphite should only be able to go to "crude" raw resources (which morphite to science ores is also problematic in a way, yes its ore to ore, but those ores are skipping parts of the production chain as well). I suppose I'm getting at that Morphite should be tier -1 in the production chain, and what it can be made into are crude raw resources in the next step in the production chain. Hmm given that, I may have to rethink things haha.

4 years ago

Have you ever ran out of an ore, and you wanted a secondary way to work for it while not adding too much complexity?

If I don't find the green circuit patch I need, then I would like to use Morphite. Seems in line with that base idea for the mod. If you think it's unbalanced that Morphite can (if you make dynamic recipes/support All Minable etc) be made into a "composite resource" then it's not your mod screwing up the balance of what is a tier 0 resource. All Minable and me installing it is to blame :) And it could be supported as an option maybe if you think that's more fitting.
But it's your mod so don't feel pressured into making the mod into something you don't want to use or want it to be. :]

If you make dynamic resources then the conversion time should probably be same as "mining time" for the ore for those that take long time to mine. So your future "Leighzer's Science Pack Mining"-mod would not just make Morphite to Space Science packs 1000 times faster than mining the packs directly if mining science packs directly are balanced by mining time. And most All Minable resources uses some kind of liquid to mine just like Uranium. The Morphite to Uranium ore recipe requires the same liquid for the transformation so it would fit in if those generated recipes also require the same liquids as they do for mining. As long as the required liquid is similar in volume needed.

4 years ago

Well I just whipped up the buried science mod. The graphics are pretty hilarious, but seems to be working. Hopefully you're only playing with vanilla sciences as that is all that will work for now.

Going to rest the brain haha too much programming xD

4 years ago

Thanks <3

4 years ago

And after some thought Qon with the whole crude vs composite minables. I think I'll make the default settings favor crude only recipes, but will also provide user with ability to switch on composite resource recipes if they want. This way the more intended use is the default, but if the user wishes to tweak (say have Morphite to buried science pack) they can.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

What's the current state? There's no changelog.txt so I don't know if the latest version has the things you told me about 15 days ago q:

Checking the startup settings I'm not seeing it. So I'm guessing it's WIP?

Also the code for the ores is a bit weird:

if leighzermods.leighzerscienceores.automationEnabled then
  AddItem('automation','a-b-a')
end
if leighzermods.leighzerscienceores.logisticEnabled then
  AddLogisticScienceOreItem()
end
if leighzermods.leighzerscienceores.militaryEnabled then
  AddItem('military','a-b-c')
end

logistic-science-pack is treated differently. It made for a nice test for my WIP mod when it handles locales of other mods' items though so thanks for that I guess. :D

4 years ago

Apologies haha, been on a bit of a hiatus. I was planning on doing some work this upcoming weekend.

You're looking for Morphite to Buried Science recipes? That's possible, not implemented yet.

Yea moving all of my mods over to use change log is high on my list.

As for science ores, logistic science gets special treatment as we can't use the same cookie cutter code when Bob's Tech is detected. I try to go with fast simple changes first, then I will upgrade to a more sound solution if it is necessary. The code works, however janky it is haha, which I agree it isn't pretty to look at xD

4 years ago

Alright Qon, Morphite to Buried Science recipes are implemented! The issues I was encountering with the Buried Science mod should largely be resolved as well!

4 years ago

Thanks!
Are mining times adjusted also?

4 years ago

Right now all science packs get mined in the same amount of time. The default morphite to science pack recipe times are TimeToCraftPackNormally * 5 <- this 5 number can be changed in the settings.

New response