Leighzer's Science Ores

Adds new ores that can be processed directly into science packs.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Mining

i Ore placement and scale

5 years ago

First off, thanks for making this. I've yet to actually play with this but it sounds very fun.
Now onto the point: It appears as if all ores care little about distance and only slightly more about quantity.
What I mean is that I loaded up a couple of maps and this last one placed a nice and large 769k space ore just next to my spawn, closer than any other ore. There's also a 3.1M patch of logistic ore as far from my water source as my spawn. This was on default settings.
Therefore I wonder: Uranium does flat out avoid the starting area on generation. Would it be similarly possible to move the higher tiered science ores further away from spawn, perhaps even in different layers aka. blue fairly close, space pretty far out? Slider-fu does work somewhat in making the higher-tier ores rarer but doesn't affect distance.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Thank you for the feedback! That is a great point, having the higher tech ores further out from spawn.

You are correct, right now all the ores actually start out with the exact same placement settings. With that, they'll be everywhere and anywhere which I agree should be changed.

I know what I can do right away is take the high tech ores (I'm thinking Production and above) out of the starting area (same way uranium is handled). I will add a bool setting in the mod settings section that can let a player revert back if they like the ores in the starting area.

As for tiered distances, I think that is great idea. I haven't messed with placing resources outside of what is provided by the devs (they use starting area to solve this problem). With that, I will look into how I could accomplish that functionality. It will take longer than the quick fix I have in mind. I will put it in my feature list tracker for now.

New response