Laboratory floor world

by adamius

Simple mod to place lab tiles on newly explored sections of the world completely devoid of water, decorations, stones, ores, water, crude oil or anything else not suitable for those in lab coats. Now with 3 ways of impossibility!

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Environment

g This mod makes the game impossible to play featuring 3 different ways of impossibility

4 years ago
  1. Description says "devoid of decorations"... is it though? https://gyazo.com/fb68978ca21883b7ee3471a905880690
  2. Completely devoid of water... So how do i get electricity at the start of the game?
  3. Completely devoid of trees... So how do i get power poles at the start of the game?
  4. Maps are completely devoid of resources... So how do i actually do anything?

I realize that's probably the point of what you're doing with this environment mod, so perhaps worth noting in the description/faq/information/somewhere that this mod is intended to be used together with /editor and/or /cheat.

However, i could also be wrong about that because on the information page you've added notes about adding the mod to existing saves - "Does not clear or impact existing areas of the game world. Mod removal doesn't impact the save. ", which contradicts that idea. So is editor-only your intention, or do you actually intend for this to be played on its own?

Can't have both.

4 years ago

You can definitely have both. If you remove this mod then the lab floor chunk generation will also stop and normal terrain generation will resume (existing areas with lab floor will keep that lab floor). If on the other hand, you add it to existing world then it will add lab floor as you explore. Or you can leave it on and you're still in lab world, staring at the checkerboard.

Is this useful? It is up to you to add this or not as you see fit. It is a mod for a reason. I've used this on multiplayer worlds where we start on lab floors with a quantity of items in a bunch of chests and everyone builds on the lab floors. Then we later turn off the lab floors. Makes for skipping the first hour of grind while making it clear that the game has changed to wilderness. A friend of mine is using this with surface_reloaded to have a middle layer of uninterrupted space and wants the lab floor only on nauvis hence the update today (and likely a bug report of his own).

item 1 - defect. need to fix. no decorations are expected.
item 2-4 - you don't. you use whatever other means you have. Creative mod, cheats, clusterio, acts of god, world editor, etc.

Not all mods are intended to be opened and operated in isolation at face value with zero thought or effort. This is one of those mods. This mod definitely just puts you somewhere and leaves you alone.

I only really updated this mod to add nauvis only as the assumed surface. I might add a setting to turn this mod on/off during the game itself.

This thread has been locked.