More Long Inserters

by Kryzeth

Adds long inserter variants of nearly all detected inserters. Optionally also adds burner versions of the filter, stack, and stack filter inserters. Fully compatible with Bobs Logistics, Artisanal Reskins, AAI Industry, Industrial Revolution 2 and 3, Factorio Extended Plus (FXP), Krastorio 2, Random Factorio Things, and Plutonium Energy. Incompatible with the inserter overhaul setting in Bobs Logistics. Not recommended to use with Bobs Adjustable Inserters (try Side Inserters instead!)

Content
22 days ago
0.16 - 1.1
Logistics

i [Implemented] All more long inserters removed if bobs adjustable inserters installed

1 year, 5 months ago

I am trying to install bobs adjustable inserters along side this one but it removes all more long inserters when I do that. I understand that they are incompatible so the gui will never work with your new inserters but is there a way to keep/use both?

1 year, 5 months ago
(updated 1 year, 5 months ago)

The reason they are incompatible, is that there's no reason to use both, apart from the addition of a couple of burner inserters (like burner filter and burner stack).

From what I understand, Bobs Adjustable Inserters allows any inserter to pick up from any length, any direction, and and drop off to any length, in any other direction, which means that a yellow inserter can act as a long inserter; a fast inserter can act as a long fast inserter; and so on, entirely eliminating the need for any long inserters in general.

This mod, on the other hand, adds long inserter variants for all existing inserters, including ones that don't exist in vanilla, and that appear from other mods. So with this mod adding a bunch of long inserters, and Bobs Inserters making long inserters obsolete... there's really no point in running both.

In theory, you could load up both, by removing the incompatibility tag from this mod, but it would just add clutter to your crafting menu, without adding useful functionality. This mod is mainly supposed to be used with mods like Side Inserters, which has certain balancing restrictions (only being able to pick up and dropoff at 90 degree angles, in addition to the usual straight-across 180 degree angle) that I prefer over Bobs Inserters. Side Inserters also retains the near/far placement feature, so it basically handles all of my needs.

EDIT: I just realized that because I made this mod before the incompatibility tag was a thing, I must have added some code to detect Bobs Inserters and disable all changes during the initial loading phase. It would probably be easier to simply prevent the two mods from loading together; unless you had some reason to use both of these mods?

1 year, 5 months ago

there are more configurations that are allowed with bob's inserters that don't work with Side Inserters + More Long Inserters. You can pick up/drop from many more angles and varying drop points. I don't mind the clutter in crafting menu, Im playing SE so there is an insane amount of clutter anyway.

1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, I do know about all of the absurd and (imo) game-breaking angles that Bobs Inserters allows. But that's my point; Bobs Inserters is already so powerful, that it makes this mod entirely obsolete, thus no point in running both. If you needed a "long" inserter variant of any existing inserter, then you could just make a regular version of that inserter, and choose the long dropoff positions.

If you wanted to add the other, non-long inserters that are present in this mod, then you could just use the Burner Filter Inserter mod, which adds.. burner filter inserter. Lacking the burner stack and burner stack filter, but those are pretty silly as it is.

So unless there is some reason to use both this mod and Bobs Inserters, then I see no reason to run both

1 year, 5 months ago

Sometimes its easier to place a long stack inserter than to place something wait for it to be built and then modify the endpoints. Also this mod allows upgrades from long inserters to long stack inserters, which is extremely convenient.

It looks like there is a single line of code that blocks them from existing side-by-side. Perhaps it could be a mod setting that allows you to run both if you so desire. I understand you feel its game breaking, even if you see no reason to run both perhaps others do? and if so why not let them?

1 year, 5 months ago

Hmm.. I suppose I see what you mean. Extra steps to achieve the same purpose. And by "upgrade", do you mean like, fast-replacing, and using the upgrade tool for bots to fast-replace them? I guess that makes sense then. I'll make the update

EDIT: Should be fixed as of 4.1.7, although if you are using Bobs Logistics, then you will still have to disable the Inserter Overhaul setting, which may cause some issues, if your map was already in progress. I don't exactly know what that setting does, but it makes inserter things.. wonky, and I don't really want to dig into that can of barrels

New response