Hourly Autosaves

by Shados

Autosaves the game (using a configurable prefix) on every hour of game-time

Utilities
3 years ago
0.18 - 1.1

g Purpose?

3 years ago

How does this differ from the normal built in autosave?

How often does it recycle save files? I don't want to end up with several hundred files taking up storage space...my first, main map is up to almost 400hrs. Part of that is from leaving it running on autopilot while I do other stuff but actively playing or not, that would be a lot of saves and space.

Is the time interval configurable? I'm already set for every 15min and I think I already changed that to be lower than the default setting. I don't think I'd want to go any less frequently.

Are the prefixes configurable per map or globally? If they are per map I think that would be the key difference to me where I might consider it so I don't lose autosaves when switching between maps.

3 years ago
  • The autosaves made by this are not recycled. As far as I can tell, Factorio only cycles over the in-built autosaves, not ones made with a custom name. For me this is part of the point; I wanted to be able to preserve an unbounded number of autosaves.
  • Right now, the time interval isn't configurable. I could make it configurable pretty trivially, although possibly not re-configurable after map creation... I'd have to look at the event API a bit more.
  • The prefixes are configurable per map. If you just leave it unset in the main menu settings, it'll prompt you at game start to set it in the map settings.
3 years ago

Thanks. Hearing the answers I like the concept but I don't think it is for me right now. I'll keep an eye on what you end up doing with it though. If my game play style and needs change, I think you might have something useful here.

3 years ago

That's cool; I've written this primarily because I'm using it, and partly to dip my toes into Factorio modding. On that note, I've released a 0.0.3 version that makes the save interval configurable (per map, in minutes, and it can be changed on-the-fly for an existing map).

New response