Lua API global Variable Viewer (gvv)

by x2605

This is a debugging tool. This mod adds commands /gvv and others and a hotkey(Ctrl+Shift+V) to allow you to check _G and global table of map or each mods. Only admins can use command if it is multiplay game. You have to input some code for temporary accessibility or have to edit "control.lua" of other mod or map to access global table of the mod or map. See "Helper" tab for instructions.

Utilities
2 years ago
1.0 - 1.1

g This mod is AWESOME!!!!!!

3 years ago

Even though I haven't downloaded it yet. I expected the official developers to do this. But now, it's here.
Great. It is foreseeable that a lot mods, scenarios are coming.

3 years ago

I've downloaded and used it for debugging, it's really helpful! <CTRL>-<SHIFT><F> for scanning prototype data, this mod to keep track of global variables, and Eradicator's /sudo for access to Lua entities -- these tools should be used by every modder!

I've already put the compatibility code in some of my mods for the next update. My big hope is that people may use it when reporting bugs. (Actually, a setting to enable GVV support may be useful -- only enabling it when required is good for performance, and having a setting for it may actually direct attention to this mod…)

TLDR: I really appreciate this mod, it has been a big help already while I was debugging my own mod! :-D

3 years ago

I've downloaded and used it for debugging, it's really helpful! <CTRL>-<SHIFT><F> for scanning prototype data, this mod to keep track of global variables, and Eradicator's /sudo for access to Lua entities -- these tools should be used by every modder!

I've already put the compatibility code in some of my mods for the next update. My big hope is that people may use it when reporting bugs. (Actually, a setting to enable GVV support may be useful -- only enabling it when required is good for performance, and having a setting for it may actually direct attention to this mod…)

TLDR: I really appreciate this mod, it has been a big help already while I was debugging my own mod! :-D

Hi, I'm new to modding. Any suggestions? Or what tool set do you use when modding? I planned a dynamic water mod and just started.

3 years ago

Hi again.
I'm facing a problem. I tried to shorten the loading time when I start the game. If I modify anything in my mod, I have to reload the game, and the problem comes.
The loading time consists mainly of loading png files. But I don't actually need most of them.
Any idea? Thanks.

3 years ago

I think it's better to ask/find that at modding help thread of forum.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=25
This page is for discussing about specific mod.
Anyway, you may can reduce loading time via lowering your graphic setting(texture size).

3 years ago

I think it's better to ask/find that at modding help thread of forum.
https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=25
This page is for discussing about specific mod.
Anyway, you may can reduce loading time via lowering your graphic setting(texture size).

I tried the graphics settings. But it helped very little.
Btw, for the game version 0.18 or 1.0, it seems not possible to remove any prototypes any more? The only way to pseudo remove a prototype seems to be set the recipe.enabled to false? Emmm..

New response