Logistic Train Network - announcer

by Quezler

Gives a signal for all pending deliveries and/or pickups.

Content
4 months ago
Trains

g Thanks

1 year, 7 months ago

I was thinking of writing the same thing because I run into the same problem with my logistic bot based mall.

Trains arrive to load items, then the bots fetch it and ages later they get loaded onto the train. Will be so much quicker if the bots start fetching stuff when LTN schedules the pickup.

1 year, 7 months ago

glad you like the mod & use it for the same reason(s) as i am. ^-^

i'm still debating on whether or not to make certain changes, like perhaps turning the items/fluids in the red signal (aka: pickup) negative, since currently both numbers are positive, or that & just outputting it on both colors, but without community feedback i'll likely just keep it as is, it works well enough for now.

4 months ago

Thank you indeed! Didn't want to create another thread, but this is really useful!
Since it makes the requested resources immediately available on the cirtuit network, multi-track stations are possible with this.

My current setup uses a simple timer, which iterates through all tracks and only exposes the requested values for 10 ticks each track.
It computes a value from the -request + container + announcer and shows that to the active LTN input.
Once something falls below threshold, the currently active track grabs the order (if its available), the announcer raises the value and the next track doesn't see any values below threshold (unless something else pops up ofc)...

Works like a charm, thank you again :D

one minor thing, it only outputs on green, maybe that could be cable dependent, but its not rly a problem

Imho this should be default behavior of the built in combinator as yet another item just clutters the station a little :D I like it tho

4 months ago

Since it makes the requested resources immediately available on the cirtuit network, multi-track stations are possible with this.

Do be careful, ltn's update loop processess all the station (signals) first, and only then will it start dispatching trains based on those signals, whilst my mod shows the signal live when the train is assigned, but as far as ltn is concerned the signal hasn't chanced yet, i'm not sure to what degree ltn checks "if there's still actually that much requested/provided" right before a train is dispatched, but i haven't taken the time yet to properly test that.

10 tick each track

Sounds as though when you get more and more ltn stations the time between each dispatch cycle grows longer and it might become inefficient.

one minor thing, it only outputs on green

It outputs green for deliveries ("green is positive") and red for pickups ("red is negative")

4 months ago

Do be careful, ltn's update loop processess all the station (signals) first, and only then will it start dispatching trains based on those signals, whilst my mod shows the signal live when the train is assigned, but as far as ltn is concerned the signal hasn't chanced yet, i'm not sure to what degree ltn checks "if there's still actually that much requested/provided" right before a train is dispatched, but i haven't taken the time yet to properly test that.

well, it seems to work as at the moment the station checks for requests the announcer doesn't add anything. once the station has decided, the value goes above threshold again, but that seems to work. the next track sees the summed up value from the earlier request and doesn't add another request.

Sounds as though when you get more and more ltn stations the time between each dispatch cycle grows longer and it might become inefficient.

oh that 10 was because I set my LTN to 10ticks scans, it works with the 2 tick default as well.
and that is only per station, so you don't need to scale anything unless you want like 100 tracks...

It outputs green for deliveries ("green is positive") and red for pickups ("red is negative")

I'm sorry didn't read that correctly earlier, that makes sense :D

4 months ago

well i'm glad your current setup seems to work for you, its a shame ltn itself isn't able to split requests between several tracks/stations on its own, e.g. bot malls.

4 months ago

yeah maybe, but its a legit workaround imho.. the trick is just to not expose the requests to all tracks at once, and force ltn tracks into time slots.. with the "to be delivered" information (from the announcer) you can then show a "future state" to the other tacks, which can be done in game logic...
That way trains en route are considered inventory when making the decision to deploy another train.

I could make up an example to demo what I mean :D

4 months ago

sure, and feel free to join the discord btw

New response