Fish Mode!

by cakem

Your recipe book is all mixed up! You must find a way to build your factory using a unique fish-based recycling mechanic.

Overhaul
2 months ago
Manufacturing

i Stone production not possible with fish

2 months ago
(updated 2 months ago)

Hello! I have played through a few hours since my last post and have some thoughts.

One problem I have encountered while playing is producing stone. I'm at the part of the game where I would like to automate rails so that I can try to maximise my fish per minute throughput total, and make the transport between my centralised production and decentralised 'transmuatation' devices easy by using Cybersyn. However, I've come across the problem of having no way to produce stone with fish outside of rolling the 33% chance that my seed replaces the stone in the rail recipe with fish. My current seed doesn't have that.

There are no other multi-ingredient recipes in the game that require stone, and this is a shame, as it is required for rails, landfill and stone bricks if there is no reverse-craft stone brick recipe. Rails are needed for purple science, and landfill is needed in high quantities when it is used. I can mine it, but the resource patches are very small. The same thing can happen with concrete and iron ore, where the only way to acquire it is to mine it. This isn't terrible, but I think it would be more interesting if everything can be fish-based, as is the case with 90% of items currently (whether the crafting chain is long or short)

fuel and coal production can have a similar issue. I have been lucky with both seeds on my runs so far to get grenades have fish replace coal, and so recycle it for my power production, but that's a 50% chance per seed. The only other early game fuel recycling is wooden power poles which requires a lot more resources in terms of fish to produce the same unit of fuel. The next recipe sources of coal come with oil processing. So it is unlucky if that is the case.

I have a few suggestions that might improve this:

• Create expensive recipes that cost just fish which produce each of the raw resources. They don't have to be efficient, maybe 5x the cost of its normal resource value.

• single ingredient recipe recycling, including smelted items. Can be inefficient or cost fish or both as a trade-off, so that having a really efficient recipe for steel for example is not the best source of iron plates. Perhaps do what krastorio does with furnaces where they use recipes so they can be used for the de-smelting recipes.

I don't think each of these should be added just that they are different ideas to fix the problem.

2 months ago

I have an idea for this, I'll implement it later today probably.

New response