Far Reach

by Fexx

Build, interact and mine on the entire screen. Distances are customizable. Substitute for non-maintained mods like Long Reach.

Utilities
6 months ago
0.16 - 1.1

b Bug On Game Start

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Currently on game start i have to go into the mod settings and change each of the reach ranges to activate the feature.

I guess you forgot to enable the reach values on startup of a game?

6 years ago

Thanks for the report, I don't have that issue, can you describe a little more?
Is the default value 0 for you?
Are you creating a single or multiplayer game?
Are you accessing the mod settings before or after map generation?

Maybe you changed the default settings of the mod. Try to create a new game and then go to mod settings before you generate the map. See if that helps.

6 years ago

Nope, it's 123. Singleplayer game. I added the mod after i generated the world/save, so that might be it.

Interestingly enough after saving it again (i already did a couple of times, and the error persisted), it now works on load.

Might have been an error on Factorios end which was fixed with 0.16.7.

I'll report back if i manage to produce it again.

6 years ago

Alright thanks

6 years ago

Does not work when you enable it in saved game until you manually edit settings.
May be factorio issue.

6 years ago

I had this problem too, odd.

6 years ago

It's odd. I now had it again after loading my save today. I think it might have something to do with enabling/updating other mods, because that is the only thing that has changed since the last time.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Alright, i have figured it out i think. If you remove from or add a mod and then load a save, it apparently resets reach. In other words, if you load a save and your set of mods differs from the one used in the save.

I guess there are some game variables (NOT mod settings; values are saved just fine) which get reset when you add/remove mods.

6 years ago

Will test it and see what I can do. Though not this year anymore :)

6 years ago

I changed initialization of the mod, hope that will fix it.

Unfortunately I could not reproduce the issue. I installed and deleted other mods, created new games, but everything kept working for me. Please let me know if things work fine for you now.

6 years ago

I am still getting this issue after the change, after any kind of relaunch I have to change the reach range to get it to work.

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

I gave it another try. I'm relatively certain it works finally.

Thanks for your input ;)

6 years ago
(updated 6 years ago)

Sorry, still not working. Much appreciate you putting effort into this though :)

For example: Deactivated helmod to test -> reach is not applied anymore.

The interesting thing is if i load the save again (i didn't overwrite it without helmod) when i enable helmod again, the reach is also there again.

6 years ago

Oh my, I hope this is not too annoying, will have another dive in ;)

6 years ago

So in the recent version the game loops over all players and I added more event hooks. In case any of your mods is messing with the player forces and the like.

Hope that fixes it for you!

6 years ago

Just as a heads up, adding the bonus to both force and player, as you're doing now, will double the amount of reach players get. (Since it stacks.)
It'll also break compatibility with more mods, since plenty of mods set bonuses on individual characters.

But hey, if it makes you feel any better, the popular "Long Reach" mod breaks much more :).

6 years ago

Oh, thanks for that.
I only apply the bonus to the players now, should suffice.

As for the other mods which also set the bonus: If you are using a mod which touches it, I recommend disabling Far Reach. There's pretty much no sense in using Far Reach together with e.g. Long Reach Research.

This thread has been locked.