Factory Planner

This mod allows you to plan your production in advance, specifying the recipes and machines that make up each assembly line. It provides powerful features that are fast and intuitive to use, so you can focus on actually building your factory.

Utilities
4 months ago
0.17 - 1.1

i [Long-term] Export factory as blueprint

1 year, 7 months ago

I don't mean a "build the whole factory for me" blueprint. I mean I want all the assemblers and recipes I've configured in FP as entities in a blueprint, maybe in a grid or a row.

1 year, 7 months ago
(updated 1 year, 7 months ago)

With neither this nor my other parallel feature request, I find myself wasting a lot of time going through the same long process of selecting a bunch of recipes twice, once in FP and once in my assemblers. Especially when making a mall where I have a large number of assemblers with unique recipes, rather than a small number of recipes repeated across many assemblers/smelters/etc.
Being able to import or export between the world/blueprints and FP factory descriptions would cut that time in half.

1 year, 7 months ago

Hello sparr, appreciate the suggestion. The idea of exporting a single line to blueprint has indeed crossed my mind before, as it's much simpler to do than a whole subfactory. It is however still a very complicated task, and not core to what Factory Planner does in my opinion. It would be months of effort to do I think. So while it is something I want to do, I am not sure if I will ever get to it. See this Trello card for some of my thoughts on it.

With regards to your second comment (I'll only reply to it here), you definitely have a point there. I want to point out (in case you weren't aware of it) that you can put individual machines into your cursor, including recipe and modules, which does help quite a bit. The second point about malls is a good one, as FP is not really good at that. One idea I had for that is a 'wizard' kind of thing that asks you some questions and generates a mall blueprint for you. This wouldn't be too hard to do, still quite a bit of work mind you, but it's almost entirely orthogonal to the core purpose of FP, so it might as well be a separate mod. That's not to say I won't add it, but I don't see a pressing need to have it in FP in particular, and I think I'm better served to improve the core features of the mod. Some more thoughts on Trello again.

1 year, 6 months ago

About exporting a single line as a blueprint: I don't think that has to be too hard. There's a limited number of buildings, and a limited number of input and output configurations. I think you could template all of them without too much difficulty. For example: https://imgur.com/a/EggfVJ4 is tileable and can do pretty much everything that an assembler can do. You'd need 2 more designs for recipes involving fluids, but that's only 3 designs and you've probably covered 90% of the assembler's functionality.
If there's a tool that lets the user make templates, that would make it even simpler: you wouldn't need to bundle everything in with FP for every possible mod. Supporting SpaceExploration or SeaBase would be a huge pain, otherwise.

1 year, 6 months ago

Sure, but even what you bring up would be dozens of hours of work, which I don't think is mostly productively spent on this at the moment. Still, maybe one day.

1 year, 6 months ago
(updated 1 year, 6 months ago)

To be clear, I'm not at all asking for what @emteeoh is asking for, or what I think the trello card is about. I don't want belts or inserters or pipes or templates. I just want a block of assemblers with the recipes set. Maybe with modules, that shouldn't be hard.

1 year, 6 months ago

Hm really? How would that be helpful? Takes 10s to set up a row of assemblers no?

1 year, 6 months ago
(updated 1 year, 6 months ago)

That depends on the row. In laying out my most recent K2+SE+?? mall I had about a thousand assemblers, maybe 200 different items using about a dozen different module configurations. It was really annoying to set them all up twice (once in factoryplanner, once in the actual assemblers).

?? = I can't remember the full mod pack

1 year, 6 months ago

Oh I see, you want the whole subfactory, but just the machines. I get it.