Extended Research System

Did you ever felt, that the advanced tiers of Belts, Inserters, Ammunitions or even the Assembling machine 3 are only decoratives? Ahh of course not, but did you ever thought about that, they are somewhat unimportant features? You just could launch a rocket without building any of them... Not any more! This mod helps you solve this riddle, you have to build the advanced tiers of those, if you want to advance in the Tech tree.

Content
6 days ago

g Tweaking

2 years ago

Played many hours with your mod. All is good but ... Military science pack MKIII. Using Atomic Bombs in recipe causes uranium production problematic. Why?
One Uranium Bomb use 30x U-235 - which is very expensive to produce it (even with kovarex). Everywhere used prod 3 modules but, still, production is very expensive. Now I have a problem to dig more and more Uranium on map to satisfy centrifuges with kovarex. Ore patches are small and is very problematic to dig is fast.
Maybe change Atomic bombs to uranium fuel or - used uranium cell (from Reactors) with some additional explosives?

2 years ago

Hello TheoMarque, I am glad hearing about you again after this so long time :)

Thank you for your suggestion. I think Atomic Bomb, and Artillery Shell fit the best for the end tier Military science pack.

What about giving 2-4 times as much science packs for the same amount of Atomic Bombs, for the prize of multiple amount of Artillery Shell with the addition of Destroyer Capsules or Personal Laser Defense equipment (or something else)? Personal Laser Defense would fit better for my liking, but it has so heavy Processing unit requirement...
I would like to keep the resource costs somewhat close to the current values.

The problem with the used uranium cell, that you have to run Nuclear power plants, but there are player who just hate them, we should not force them to use them. And the problem with both of your suggestions, is that they have nothing to do with military...

Maybe I could decrease the mining time for the uranium, if the resource costs does not feel so terrible

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Personal Laser Defense Is good because shorter production chain (and finally consumes more UPS). You can reduce amount od Processing units to 10. And, You can add 10 Uranium cannon shells (to use uranium). Mining time is not a problem because no new available sources to mine. Of course - you can multiply output od science to 36.

Maybe add tanks or Artillery wagons :) Steel is is near useless now, because most of them consume only rails and LDS.

2 years ago

My idea was 96 Military SP = 1 * Atomic Bomb + 2 * Artillery Shell + 2 * (Personal Laser Defense or Destroyer Capsule)
This way the resources costs per science pack stays close enough, a little more heavy on iron, but you need 1/4 of uranium 235 per science pack
My problem is with cannon shells, that it uses uranium 238, I want the last Military Science Pack to use U235
I could go with Artillery Turret (non-rail one), but it has 40 seconds of crafting time and it has around half of the resource cost then Personal Laser Defense, so i should require 4 pieces of it, but at least it uses concrete, which fits in with the previous military techs
So the recipe would be like this:
96 MSP = 1 * Atomic Bomb + 2 * Artillery Shell + 4 * Artillery Turret

Sorry for the late answer

2 years ago

Great, I agree with your proposal, so, do update :)

2 years ago

And, Logistic pack MK II - little tweak with output/input - problematic is gear production for this (this pack is used as base pack in late game techs). Only for saving UPS.

2 years ago

What do you mean by that? You want Logistic science pack MKII as an ingredient for the MKIII?

2 years ago

No, only change recipe to: Fast Belt x 1, Fast Inserter 4x => 3x Logistic MK II

2 years ago

This is an old comment of mine, from an another thread, but it is still somewhat in a good shape
Of course some recipes changed, like the Military Science Pack MKIII, which now has some other value now, I should update this excel too...

"The way i choosed these recipes is the value of each Science Pack, I took their resource demand (which is the ingredients what popping up in-game) and multiplied by some sort of weight, and summed all together and divided by their result count.
I tried to build some order into it, that the more advanced techs are more expensive, but still not as expensive as the space science.
I did an excel table, which has a (OneDrive) link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!ArEt1o58jtGagtEwpDpnk1krWJSDlg?e=zT6QiS
If you can not open it here is the sum-up of it:
--------ASP1--LSP1--ASP2---LSP2---MSP1--CSP1---MSP2--ASP3---CSP2--PSP----USP----LSP3----ASP4---MSP3-----SSP
Value---3.00--7.00---14.13--24.50--24.50---24.75--39.55---42.00--51.13--93.17--96.99--123.90--161.00--183.92?--212.80"

If I do that change, what you suggest, the Logistic Science Pack MKII would be cheaper then the Automation Science Pack MKII, I think I am happy with the values of each Science Pack

2 years ago

My suggestions are only for reduce UPS needed per 1kSPM. A problem with some Science Packs is too heavy usage of intermediates. For example, 5x iron gears needed to Transport MK II need a bunch of assemblers that produce only gears. Problem is rising that you need produce many belts filled only by gears. I do not have an idea how to resolve this problem without reducing amount of intermediates.

New response