Electric boilers with tiers

Boiler that uses electric power to turn water to steam

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Increase temperature as well as the steam flow

4 years ago

Quick suggestion for improvement and better balance, many power mods use steam at higher temperatures to increase the efficiency. i.e. Bob Mod's 2nd tier of steam engines provides the full power only when steam at 315°C is provided. Your Electric boilers only increase the steam flow, but keeps them at 165°C. Perhaps lower steam flow, but at higher temperature could be a better idea (as it's now, I have one of your MK2 boilers, but I'm limited to 1st gent steam engines XD
My 2 cents.
Great work and hope this tought helps.
Best regards,
Leandro

4 years ago

Sorry, in case you need the values for the steam temperature, here's the scale:
165°C (minimum, the current value)
315°C
465°C
615°C
765°C

4 years ago

1 my mod was intedded for py mods for moning and other stream intensive recipes
2 my mod is intended to be on the realistic side so no power loop , no positive one at least
3 if some recipes from AB require steam at another temperature tell me , and the temp so i can add some compatibility script or something

4 years ago

Thanks for the response. Yes, It will require some tweaking to avoid a positive gain. The temperatures I mentioned, are those for the 5 tier of Steam Engines (and turbines) in Bob's Power Mod. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/bobpower. I have yet to try the Py mods :P Did not get there yet.

The steam temperature, fluid consumption and power provided by the steam engines are as follow:
165°C / 0.9 MW / 30 steam consumed per second
315°C / 1.8 MW / 30 steam consumed per second
465°C / 2.7 MW / 30 steam consumed per second
615°C / 3.6 MW / 30 steam consumed per second
765°C / 4.5 MW / 30 steam consumed per second

Steam Turbines are 3 tiers:
465°C / 5.4 MW / 60 steam consumed per second
615°C / 7.2 MW / 60 steam consumed per second
765°C / 9 MW / 60 steam consumed per second

My personal challenge was a kafkian setup as follow:
Solar Power -> Electric Boiler -> Steam tanks-> Steam Engine/Turbine -> Power to the factory.

4 years ago

so a solar power buffer with steam.

i guess the boiler efficiency is 1 , like in vanilla but accepts more hot er steam , for turbines it is the same
so negative loop should be covered

since it is only for bobpower atm i am considering making a new boiler , recipe will be one standard one to theis one or something like that
i am considering this:
mk1 165
mk2 315
mk3 465
mk4 615&765 or make a mk5 here tho it would need to be pump fed to work at max power

in the case of the mk4 it would be a 1:20 and that might be way to long for steam go go through so it will probably not go all the way tho didnt turbines act like pomps?

4 years ago

Steam Turbines are just Steam Engines with twice the power output and twice the steam consumption :P last 3 tiers of Steam engines have their Steam Turbines counterpart.
I think you nailed it, you got the general idea :)
When there's a beta to try out, let me know and I'll help you on the testing :D

4 years ago

The game is so well programmed, that when I changed the "target_temperature", in the entity.lua, it self adjusted the steam output flow. I used the 5 temperatures for each electric boiler tier.
Electric Boiler Mk 2, now produces 167/s steam at 465 °C -> which is enough steam to power 5.56 steam engines, when each one provides 2.7 MW -> 5.56 steam engines times 2.7 MW, 15 MW.
Perhaps, you can just create a patched version of your mod to be compatible with Bob's Mod, just changing those values, as I just did and quick tested :D
Again, my 2 cents, and just a recommendation for your awesome mod.
Thanks for the thinking together!

4 years ago

i was going to do something similar after it works i would tune the boilers to a k*30 (or 60) so there will be in a good ratio
tho it will probably be say5% more just to make sure

4 years ago

there will be a github posting of the beta

4 years ago

https://github.com/immortal-sniper1/electric_water_boiler_

might be buggy since it is the first release
i didnt test it yet

4 years ago

did u manage to test it?

4 years ago

15.540 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:85: emissions_per_second_per_watt used, use emissions_per_minute: ROOT.furnace.electric-stone-furnace.energy_source
15.540 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:85: emissions_per_second_per_watt used, use emissions_per_minute: ROOT.furnace.electric-steel-furnace.energy_source
15.541 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 0.008): ROOT.furnace.flare-stack.energy_source
15.541 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-05): ROOT.furnace.incinerator.energy_source
15.541 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-05): ROOT.furnace.electric-incinerator.energy_source
15.541 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 0.008): ROOT.furnace.vent-stack.energy_source
15.541 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 2e-05): ROOT.furnace.nuclear-furnace-1.energy_source
15.559 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-08): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk1.energy_source
15.559 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-18): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk2.energy_source
15.559 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.16667e-18): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk3.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-30): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk4.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-15): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk2-b.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.16667e-18): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk3-b.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-30): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk4-b.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1.66667e-30): ROOT.boiler.electric-boiler-mk4-bb.energy_source
15.560 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1e-05): ROOT.boiler.oil-steam-boiler.energy_source
15.564 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 3e-06): ROOT.generator.petroleum-generator.energy_source
15.593 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1e-05): ROOT.assembling-machine.aquifer-drill.energy_source
15.602 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-06): ROOT.assembling-machine.furnace-pro-01.energy_source
15.602 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-06): ROOT.assembling-machine.furnace-pro-02.energy_source
15.602 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-06): ROOT.assembling-machine.furnace-pro-03.energy_source
15.603 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-06): ROOT.assembling-machine.furnace-pro-04.energy_source
15.603 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-06): ROOT.assembling-machine.furnace-pro-05.energy_source
15.605 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 5e-05): ROOT.assembling-machine.water-injector.energy_source
15.648 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:91: emissions used, use emissions_per_minute (proposed value 1e-04): ROOT.mining-drill.omega-drill.energy_source
15.891 Warning EnergySourcePrototype.cpp:85: emissions_per_second_per_watt used, use emissions_per_minute: ROOT.pump.factory-circuit-input.energy_source
16.108 Prototype list checksum: 2364539994

25.265 Mods to disable:Failed to load mods: Path electric_water_boiler/graphics/icons/boiler2.png not matching the resource path pattern: source/path: electric_water_boiler/graphics/icons/boiler2.png
Mods to be disabled:
• electric_water_boiler
39.885 Info AppManager.cpp:1214: Restarting Factorio
39.910 Quitting: user-quit.
40.107 Steam API shutdown.
40.115 Goodbye

4 years ago

Sorry for the delay, but the mod in GitHub just failed :(

4 years ago

ok

4 years ago

i will patch it soon , aka in a few h

4 years ago

done it works now

4 years ago

like the bug said i forgot to add a __

4 years ago

the eficiency part is broken atm , so no loss yet but it is working at least

4 years ago

It's working now indeed. Just missing the final touches, as it see all the 4 tiers when just researched up to 2nd tier, and some entities names are simply wrong. However, on the very good side, the functionality of them boilers is perfect :D
See the error below: https://ibb.co/mvP4nLt

4 years ago

well i wrote it is a beta , new icons will come soon , same for the locale aka item names

and item names are not wrong i messt up the recipes all recipes are 1 tier lower ingredients then they should

also i was thinking of 4 6 8 turbines to be the ratio boal for mk2-4 boilers

4 years ago

AWESOME! You're the man! :D
Glad I pointed on a new development.
Cheers!

4 years ago

THX
but this release is still sorta bad
boilers are at 100% efficiency for some reason
no icons for most new boilers

4 years ago

icons are done , locale will proabablly be done super soon , it will be on the git in like 1h from now

New response