Electric Transport Belts

by Zinal

Transport belts now require energy to operate. Energy is supplied by Transport belt controllers.

Content
7 years ago
Logistics

g Is it possible to link the belts?

7 years ago

Would it be possible to have the belts send power forward and backwards along the chain?
As in, if one peice of belt is powered. Then all the belts that it would send and receive items from are also powered.

Either way i look forward to trying this out!

P.S. Loader support from the loaders mods would be awesome!

7 years ago

Loader support added in version 0.14.2.

I'll take a look on transferring power between belt pieces. I'm worried that the amount of checks required will cause quite a bit of lag.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

I don't know in how far this is possible but here is an idea for implementing it with less lag:

Duplicate the Belt-Entity. One requires Power, one doesn't. Anytime you place Belts, Loaders or Power-transmition-stuff you check if at least one Belt is connected to the power network. If so, every Belt which is connected to the certain Powered Belt, will be replaced with the non-powered belt. For the consumtion you adjust the powered Belt.

Further optimization: Split the Belt network up into chunks and safe metadata per chunk (you may use the already existing chunks). One Metadata per BeltNetwork per Chunk could contain a flag: Powered/notPowered and the connection Points to the ChunkBorders.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

CCyres, I like how you think!

Duplicating the belt-entity wouldn't be necessary, since the belt is the same old belt that it has always been.

The way the mod works right now is that it places a secondary invisible entity on-top of the belt. (This entity controls the belt and requires power)

I'll try this approach and see if it works out :)

7 years ago

I am glad to hear this.

Another possibility could be, if you add another Entity "Belt Energy Distributor" which have to be next to any Belt. This Entity requires Power, has a range of e.g. 50 Belts and distributes Power to the Belt :)

7 years ago

It seems like I'll go with the "Belt Energy Distributor" solution. I spent all day yesterday to experiment and I came up empty =/.

However, instead of putting it next to a belt, why not put it on the belt itself? Looks better and doesn't require any extra space between belts.

7 years ago

I actually like it the way it is, without power transfer between the belts. This way at least I can finally start using substations.

7 years ago

Loaders support was removed in version 0.14.3 in favor of a new separate mod to handle loaders.

Version 0.14.3 introduced new entities called belt controllers which will operate the other belts if it has energy.

New response