Default Wait Conditions

When a stop, whose name contains a given pattern, is added to the train schedule, add user-defined wait conditions to it.

Utilities
2 years ago
Trains

g Why so complicated?

2 years ago

Why does the mod have to be so complicated?
I installed this mod because I didn't want to set the wait condition over and over for every train. Now I look at this window and wonder what the crap this is.... Is it not possible to make it so that everyone can use this mod?

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

That is not constructive criticism. You will have to elaborate. Let me get you started: What did you expect? What was hard to understand? What in your opinion makes this mod complicated? How do you think this mod should look and function "so that everyone can use it"?

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Okay...

1 what did you expect?

I expected a mod that gives me the possibility to set a prefix under which a train gets a corresponding setting automatically. Like for example if there is a '+' in the name of the stop, then the train should wait at this stop until it is full.

2 what was hard to understand?

The cheat sheet, which can be found ingame, is absolutely confusing. "%a = not %A = letters" Does this mean that %a creates other letters like %A or does it mean that you should use %a and not %A? And what are strings or modifiers? I just want to tell my train what to do and not spend 2 years guessing what to do.

3 what in your opinion makes this mod complicated?

Definitely that you have to create weird text lines. I, as a user, assume that the programming part makes the program, or is prepared by the programmer / modder.

4 How do you think this mod should look and function "so that everyone can use it"?

When I installed the mod I went directly to the mod settings because I assumed that you can enter a prefix there with the help of which then the train is automatically given the appropriate commands. When I didn't find any there, I went into the game to look for something there. There I found what I was looking for, but then I was completely taken by surprise by the insane complexity of the mod. There is something about Lua quite far up in the window. Does that mean that I have to learn a programming language to use this mod? Because if so, then that is clearly the point why this mod can not be used by everyone, because only the fewest know Lua, or any programming language. (I know for example only one and I know a lot of people) If it is now so that you have to know a programming language to be able to use this mod, then that is the first point you should change to make this mod usable for everyone.

2 years ago

Okay. First, have you seen the links in the description on the mod portal? The mod presumes familiarity with Lua patterns. The cheat sheet is by no means intended to be an explanation of Lua patterns, it is there as a quick reminder for the syntax. If you think there is a better way to convey this to the user, please tell. Unfortunately, there is no way to make a clickable link in-game.

As an aside to this, I think that Lua patterns are perfectly understandable and usable without needing to know Lua. You don't need to know Javascript or Python or whatever other scripting language to use regular expressions. You don't even need to fully understand or know everything about them, I sure don't and I use them sometimes. And Lua patterns is a much simpler analog of regular expressions.

Second, I went with Lua patterns because I wanted to provide the most flexibility to the user. Flexibility is also why the stop names can match multiple patterns to allow for modular schedules. You were saying that you looked for a prefix to enter, but I, for example, add load/unload indicator as a suffix (and followed by an outpost number). Accomodating both these namings won't have been practical with a primitive configuration, not to mention all other kinds of names. On the other hand, patterns allow for all of these. You can have a prefix, a suffix or an infix, or even any combination thereof. And if you don't happen to be interested in the pattern matching functionality, you just have to screen all the special characters with the % character, which I think is acceptable. I am not going to remove patterns. Though now that I think, I can add a plaintext toggle, so it searches for the literal text in the stop name instead of a pattern, but it would be a pure convenience feature. It does not expand what you can do.

Third, the flexibility leads me to the point about settings. The settings interface, sadly, simply can not allow in any usable way for any but most primitive customization. The only thing I have in plans for settings is being able to export a string of all your condition patterns, which you can paste into the settings so that you don't have to re-enter them every time you start a new game (or add the mod to an existing one). But you don't do that often (at least I don't), so it has been low priority.

2 years ago

Ok..

I have seen the two links, unfortunately they don't help me either, because they are explained in a too complicated way.
I am sorry that you think that LUA patterns are simple, because this is not the case. I have shown the whole thing to several people and none of them understood it better than I did. So I can say that it is not easy, because if it were easy, I would certainly not sit here and write you that it is incomprehensible and difficult.

But I will not get upset here, which is why I will simply throw out this mod and will not recommend anyone. So I wish you a lot of fun and hope for you that in the future you can develop more understanding for others who do not understand such stuff.

2 years ago

Likewise.

New response