Deepspace 9

Transfer items, technologies, power and signals between servers via rockets. For server administrator and developers: see https://github.com/MasterBabol/deepspace9 *This mod does not work in single player mode.

5 years ago

g singleplayer :D

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

wouldn't it be possible for single player games to send and withdraw items to/from the cloud?
maybe i misunderstood how this mod works..
also:
can you explain a bit further how the trading works? it seems like you simply put items into the cloud?
some kind of trading mechanic would be cool i think..
and how many servers can be connected with this?

5 years ago

Technically, Factorio does not provide any APIs to interact with another server or something. This limitation is well explained in the factorio's friday facts and clusterio mod. For the reason, this mod also uses Rcon interface to intervene in a game. Therefore, as long as single player mode does not support Rcon interface, this mod cannot work.
And.. the trading mechanism is simple.
To deposit items to the cloud, build a tx rocket silo, fuel it, put items in the rocket inventory, and launch.
To withdraw items from the cloud, build a rx rocket silo, give signals which represent items you want, to a lamp attached to the silo, and launch.
I have a plan to make a demo video soon. You may see how this mod works then.
There can be one remote cloud server and multiple local game servers, and the number of local game servers are not limited.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

for reading data, there is this hack that utilizes the require function (needs to be a different file name every time you use require), and for writing data, you could use the log function :)
with some global server, there could be a market place with dynamic item prizes depending on demand and supply :D (maybe needs some kind of cheat protection :D)
of course this hack only works in single player, because it could quickly happen that the read files are not similar on all machines and the game would desync

5 years ago

Interesting... I never think that require function does work in game.. Surely it is possible. I will consider trying using it.

5 years ago

cool :) could be incredible (but depends on trolls)

New response