Data Science

by dorfl

Adds data science elements to blue, purple and yellow science packs, requiring collection, cleansing and analysis of production data across the entire base.

4 years ago
0.16 - 0.17

i Chemical Science?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

I am going to suggest that you add a setting to turn this off for blue science. Blue science is chemical science, not necessarily related to production or logistics. Production and utility science packs, on the other hand, seem obvious candidates for your method, so those make sense to me. Part of me also thinks it should be included with logistics science, but I suspect you didn't do that because it's too heavy for an early-game science pack. I can probably agree with that in terms of gameplay balance. But using it with blue science packs just seems off to me. Otherwise, or if I could just turn that off with a setting, I would consider starting to use this for the servers on my server network.

That said, we've been thinking about doing something it sounds like you've also got on the drawing board: a "super computer", or computing cluster, that would be very power intensive, but would probably provide benefits to all production, or production within a certain, large radius. It would then also benefit from adjacency bonuses, similar to a reactor. Maybe we should get together on that.

4 years ago

You make an interesting point for 0.17. The balancing certainly reflects the old vague science-pack-3 in 0.16. I believe the three data types need to at least remain attached to three different science packs. Rather than turning it off, possibly something more chemistry-specific can be woven in to the mix early on? The punch card manufacturing process could be a candidate. Or chem/fluid-specific sensors -- the single type of sensor is already feeling a bit boring.

I always intended to circle back to the compute cluster idea in this mod once I got better at the graphics stuff :-) It would have been a complex multi-entity type thing to build and run, but ultimately boil down to a super beacon with a large area of effect. Happy to collaborate if you think Data Science could fit with your plans.

4 years ago

It's a great idea. It's just down the list, for now.

New response