Very BZ

by brevven

Mod pack for all BZ Mods including Titanium, Lead, Tungsten, Silicon, Zirconium, Foundry & more. Turns on some settings by default, but adds nothing new to the game itself.

Mod packs
1 year, 4 months ago

g realism?

1 year, 9 months ago

I love your mods. It lets me have a playthrough with ore and intermediates complexity without going for a full overhaul experience. However, I wanted to ask you to what degree you are going for realism vs gameplay. For example, at the moment aluminium cable is needed in the early burner phase. In real life, aluminium is a medium tech metal, as you can only really extract and refine and process it with electricity. It would make more sense for realism in the burner phase for metals to be things that we can actually extract in real life with fire. Historically those are tin, lead, copper, gold, silver. If historical and metallurgical accuracy isn't really the point then no problems. It's not a deal-breaker, but I do cringe a bit each time I smelt aluminium ore in a stone furnace.

http://www.makin-metals.com/about/history-of-metals-infographic/

1 year, 9 months ago

Hello!

I aim for an amount of realism roughly equivalent to vanilla Factorio, often a nudge toward more realistic simply since with more ingredients there is opportunity for that nudge.

Personally, I treat the setting of vanilla factorio as a sort of super-high-tech stranding situation. For example, I decided on the aluminum mini-overhaul because indeed, as an engineer with hand-held supertools and item-devouring "labs" that can re-derive details of technology for you, you might treat something like aluminum as a less valuable resource than some others.

I totally understand your hesitance around these types of realism. I've sort of had to balance between realism and gameplay frequently.

I suppose, specifically for things like aluminum, one way to imagine it is that the engineer is able to collect very small quantities of various metal oxides and such to create thermite-like reactions for smelting. Perhaps the "coal" on this planet is able to create a superhot reactions itself due to geology and ancient biology. Maybe the atmosphere contributes to it. Who knows :)

Though it is indeed an overhaul, I think IR2 does a pretty good job of getting close to a more historically accurate order. And for an even bigger overhaul, Pyanodons does a pretty good job of using different techniques for smelting, and allows for things like arc furnaces pretty early in the overall tech tree.

My mods will probably not, on their own, diverge from vanilla as far as those do.

1 year, 9 months ago

New response