Biter Reincarnation

When an enemy unit or worm dies it tries to reincarnate back in to nature, be it a tree, rock, cliff or water. Occasionally the angry biters can burst into a flaming tree.

Content
6 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Enemies

b [Resolved] Crash in 20.0.15 (game started with 20.0.14)

3 years ago

I encountered a reproducible crash (save available to reproduce if needed).
The error:

Error while running event biter_reincarnation::on_tick (ID 0)
biter_reincarnation/utility/functions/biome-trees.lua:39: attempt to call field 'tileTempCalcFunc' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
biter_reincarnation/utility/functions/biome-trees.lua:39: in function 'GetBiomeTreeName'
biter_reincarnation/utility/functions/biome-trees.lua:74: in function 'AddBiomeTreeNearPosition'
biter_reincarnation/scripts/reincarnation.lua:112: in function '?'
biter_reincarnation/utility/event-scheduler.lua:91: in function 'handlerFunction'
biter_reincarnation/utility/events.lua:94: in function <biter_reincarnation/utility/events.lua:89>

Rolling back to 20.0.14 seems to fix the issue; maybe an issue in the migration code?

3 years ago

I had to rewrite large sections of logic to support alien biomes in the latest update. I have a horrible feeling I didn't regression test the mod, as it turned in to a real pain to get AB working and I'd had enough.

I will have a look and hopefully it's a simple patch/migration script to resolve the misalignment.

3 years ago

if you do have a save that would be good. As it doesn't happen on me loading my existing 20.0.14 save.
I don't see how its reaching that code as it does look to be mod version change safe, or atleast not crash.

3 years ago

If the issue still occurs with new release 20.0.16 please post the save game.
I have made changes to make the code around this safer just based on the error stacktrace.

3 years ago

I've updated, and reloaded the crashing save, and it's all fine, thanks!
Just in case, you can find the save at https://files.xelnor.net/biter-reincarnation-crash.zip

3 years ago

And thanks a lot for the very quick bugfix, it's really appreciated!

3 years ago

Oh, I see what's happened; I've done something naughty in Factorio modding and for some reason you ran in to it as an error.
My latest fix resolved the symptom you had as part of fixing a wider legacy lazyness of modded tree/tile approach. But on looking at your save I see my fundamental mistake. This will still cause issues in the future so I will release another fixed version now that does it the approved Factorio way.

New response