Biter Factions

Turns the once peaceful biters into different factions, warring for domination over Nauvis alongside the player. They will fight amongst themselves for land.

Content
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Enemies

b Error

4 years ago

The mod Biter Factions caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event biter_factions::on_tick (ID 0)
biter_factions/control.lua:196: bad argument #2 of 2 to 'table_size' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'table_size'
biter_factions/control.lua:196: in function <biter_factions/control.lua:95>

4 years ago

What were you doing when this happened? starting a new game? adding the mod to an existing save game? updating from v0.1.0 ?

4 years ago

try the latest one I just uploaded.

4 years ago

I have gotten this error Both a map gen and again about 6 hours in, It is a Multiplayer Map me and roommates are all playing.

I will update and let you know if I get it again. TY for a fast response. :)

4 years ago

I wonder if one of the biter factions entire set of nests died, and the table went empty

4 years ago

The mod Biter Factions caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event biter_factions::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
biter_factions/control.lua:70: bad argument #1 of 1 to 'random' (interval is empty)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'random'
biter_factions/control.lua:70: in function <biter_factions/control.lua:57>

Tried to re-add to the save. Just now.

4 years ago

To be honest, I am running a lot of mods, mostly enemies mods, swarmageddon, Bob's, Natural evolution, rampant, Big-Monsters, big behemoths, and probably a few more. :)

4 years ago

that's a super weird error, i'll try to reproduce it. for the random to be zero, means the factions table is empty ??? so weird..

4 years ago

it would help if you could upload the save somewhere and link it here so i can download it and try to load it with this version and debug the error directly

4 years ago

I just tried all sorts of ways to break it, starting new games, adding mod to a save with never having a previous version of biter factions mod, and I can't reproduce your issue :( so I really do need your save to work out what it is.

4 years ago

Ok so here is the Save. Biter Factions is not enabled. I had to disable it cause we wanted to continue playing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iidtRbbfFcDtcjzj06Wdbv0biaoj_nXd

4 years ago

Thank you. I will enable it and see when/how/why it crashes

4 years ago

OK, so with that save, I enable Biter Factions and move around I got this error.

Error while running event biter_factions::on_chunk_generated (ID 12)
biter_factions/control.lua:70: bad argument #1 of 1 to 'random' (interval is empty)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'random'
biter_factions/control.lua:70: in function <biter_factions/control.lua:57>

4 years ago

Thanks. I should be able to resolve that in the next 3-4 hours with a new version. I'll keep you posted!

4 years ago

Thank you so much. I really like this mod. Play with it all the time.

4 years ago

Well, I appear to have finally found the edge-case condition and fixed it, plus on such a huge map I had issues with performance on the start-up situation for assigning all the 10,000 chunks worth of possible biters to each of the 5 factions, so I added some better processing of chunks to spread out the processing.

https://imgur.com/a/rkM8PBJ

Unfortunately the super-crazy massive worms and their special projectiles and all that, still cause a bit of lag while the initial battles inside some of the larger nests finish. Because the super worms take soooooooooo long to die, the FPS drain can go for a while.. In fact, the huge monster worms are mostly immune to eachother's attacks, so they might just fight forever ;( having thousands of monster worms shooting special projectiles at eachother forever is not good for performance. Are you okay if I check in my mod for if big monsters mod is enabled and try to reduce the acid resistance of all worms?

4 years ago

Seriously, That sounds fine with me. I really like Hard maps with lots of enemies. I believe the huge worms are actually from bob's enemies, I think, maybe. LOL. What ever you do, I will most definitely be using this mod.

4 years ago

Okay, well I'll finish up testing and trying to modify the giant worms today I hope..

4 years ago

The giant worms continue to be a real problem. but it's generally solved now - when the transition of teams happens, I set the worms to a very low % of their health, so they have a chance to fight eachother and actually die. The surviving ones quickly regen their health anyway.

While testing I noticed that the Repair Turrets mod was taking up a huge amount of CPU %, far more than any other mod, i'm not sure why, but it was taking up 8 milliseconds almost continuously per frame, just for Repair turrets mod. I think i'll report it to Klonan, it must be doing a lot of processing on entity damaged/killed and isn't filtering out non-friendly-entity events.

4 years ago

New version uploaded, which handles force allocation better, and should fix that weird situation that your particular save game was in. please add the mod in and try it out. Be aware that you have ~10+k chunks generated in your world, and over the period of about 30 minutes they will all be fully processed and be properly separated into the different factions.

Let me know how you go, but keep in mind the various testing issues I encountered and be aware that there might be some initial period of slow-down due to the huge battles going on. The mod wasn't really intended to have massive uber-worms in the world, and also adding the mod to a 10k chunk world was a challenge in itself, but it should be reasonable smooth now from all my programming upgrades.

The only thing to really keep in mind is the update time required for Repair Turrets..

4 years ago

Thank you so much! I realize that I tend to have a lot of mods. There were 4 of playing that map and we were all having a blast. I appreciate you spending your time fixing a problem that was not very common.

Thanks for the heads up on the repair turrets, might have to remove it due to my roommate playing on a potato. :)

4 years ago

I've reported the usually high cpu usag to Klonan to examine your save game and try to find out what causes the slow downs

4 years ago

did you get a chance to run this version of the mod and see how long it took for the battles to die down?

4 years ago

Sorry, i have not. Me and roommates all got Satisfactory.. Will be back to factorio soon tho.

New response