Automatic Belt Direction

When laying belts, automatically adjust direction of belt.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

i Do Not Connect

3 years ago

This mod is fine when dragging a belt line (and it's awesome). But, when starting a new placement, perhaps it should not adjust any adjacent belts. For example, trying to start a new 4-lane bus, so I try to click down 4 adjacent parallel start belts but the mod keeps connecting them. Perhaps a check box option to change this default behavior?

3 years ago

The problem is that it is very hard to predict what should be auto-turned and what not. Suppose I place two splitters for a 4-belt output, and 4 belts from one end of the splitters to the other end. Do I want to start a 4-belt output, or do i want all splitters to output on that one belt? It is simply not totally clear what a player wants to do. And that is just one example of a situation where it's hard to exactly know what someone is going to do with those belts. I've found a few more while designing and testing the mod.

In the past I had some logic implemented that tried to predict a few situations where belts were auto-corrected. The problem was that those situations weren't full-proof. So I changed the mod: Now, no more special handling is applied, just the belt dragging mechanism. But instead, I've added the option to disable the auto-turning of belts. Just click the belt-button in the top left to switch the mod on and off, or press the default shortcut Ctrl-B.

The default shortcut Ctrl-B can be changed in the options, and it is possible to remove the on-screen button (the mod will still work).

I can suggest two things that may help laying multi-line beltways more easily:
1. Make a blueprint of a 4-belt wide beltway, and use bots to paste large parallel beltway blueprints at once. Belts layed by a blueprint will not be altered, only belts that you lay yourself. I even have some special corner belt blueprints, that way I can lay large multi-belt parallel highways with just a few clicks.
2. There are other belt-laying helper-mods that help in laying multi-belt beltways. They are designed to aid in laying multi-belt highways automatically for you.

Hope this helps

3 years ago

Thanks for explaining. Yes, I'm aware of the button/shortcut, thanks for those; very helpful. Yes, I have bus blueprints w/ all the variations. I was hoping your mod would be quicker/easier for shorter lengths than pulling out a blueprint. I guess the key issue is: can a mod distinguish between an initial belt placement and a drag operation? (e.g. does the API expose mouse-down and mouse-up events?) If your mod is simply reacting to a placement event on every belt item and can't tell how it was placed (initial or drag) then yeah, I see the problem. Thanks again, cool mod none the less!

New response