Accumulator Wagon

Adds a train wagon capable of storing and transporting electric power, allowing new means of getting power to remote outposts and power grids. Special circuit signals allow for fine-grained control of charging and discharging priority.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Trains

g Question

5 years ago

How does the efficency of storage compare to transporting nuclear generated steam via Fluid Wagon to on-site Turbines?

5 years ago

In terms of raw throughput, 500 degree steam holds far more energy, 97kJ per unit as opposed to 20kJ per unit for the accumulator wagon fluid (a wagon full of steam is carrying almost 500 accumulators worth of energy, while these hold just 100 worth). The tradeoff is in infrastructure requirements and flexibility; instead of requiring pumps, tanks and turbines at your remote outputs, you only need to plop a power pole next to the tracks (and you can charge from solar fields as well as nuclear facilities).

5 years ago

Good to know. I might play with this one. I usually just use the powered rails from Bio Industries, but since discovering that transporting steam is an option, I've been thinking of playing with alternative methods.

New response