Wind Turbines

Wind Turbines produce free energy, but are expensive to build and don't have a steady output. This mod adds 4 tiers of Turbines, from a small wooden Windmill to a Titanic steel and refined concrete turbine.

Content
1 year, 9 months ago
Power

i wind speed

2 years ago

imo it would be much better if wind speed could go to 0 for some time and/or it would be more random at all cos like now you can play only with turbines with no need for accumulators ever (if you build enough of them and automate things with powerswitches)
also would be cool to have option to decrease power not only increase ( in startup options all you can do is 0 or 1 or more , you cant do 0.5 or something)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi !
Thanks for the feedback.
Wind speed can go very, VERY low at times, less than 10% of the max power, which may cause significant problems if you only depend on wind.
I strongly suggest using accus to compensate, or having other power sources on standby.

As for the startup value, I will check that ( I might have the default as "max power", which is 67 kW for the first turbine (x10, x100, x1000 for the others), and it could be freely adjustable to anything between 1 and "too much".

However, turbines are already quite costly for the power they produce (by design), lowering that value would make them even weaker than solar (per construction cost), and just not worth using them.

2 years ago

i know how this works cos i got quite long playthro with them back when they were texugo wind :) its very nice someone took over tho so can play back again with them !
so for me they too good and i play with some really hardcore mods too (i get it that you could think diffrent and think they balanced , all i would like is option to balance them for myself) so for me when i compare 10 turbines (470kW) to 1 steam engine (300kW) , they are way too good in every aspect if you dont need accumulators for them, even if i set power to 0.5 i got 235kW average for 10 turbines and their cost isnt too much either , so 235 vs 300 but never care about fuel or pollution, no need belts , no need boilers ... too good even at 50% imo :) it was exactly what i had back then , i had a lot of them with no accus and some nonessential stuff behind power switches
even compared to standard solar they a lot better ( solar cost more and goes to 0 ... )
there is some mod about wind speed https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WindSpeedChanging mayby it is possible to make it work together , this mod seems a bit performance heavy to me tho
anyway if you could add option so i could change their power to 30% ( i think allowing startup option to be 0.3 not just 0,1,2 etc. would do trick) i would sure play some more with them :)

2 years ago

well i messed up cos steam engine is 900kW not 300kW ;) but still as i told i was playing with them and i had them at 50% and they were too good :) and if you compare to solar (especially those higher tiers) they very good and if its not possible to get them to 0 sometimes i would like option to make them 30% :) if thats possible

2 years ago

Steam engine is 900 kW and costs a lot less than 20 Windmills (Turbine1). You are probably using some modded Steam engine which is a lot less powerful.
The balance I did is relative to vanilla/default.

I will take a look at that mod and see what I can do about it, indeed it would be interesting if it would match the visual wind affecting smoke/steam.
Will also check if I can do something about the settings, indeed, some people want to make it "hardcore" for them ;-)

2 years ago

i found old response that texugo gave me long ago - "You can quick fix this with by opening the mod archive and editing the file: >>settings.lua<< with notepad++, just change the Type from 'int-setting' to 'double-setting' , save and close. Now, u can change the value to decimal numbers, just tested with 0.1 and worked fine.
I will fix this when i update the mod, not sure when..." and he was gone :P i can fix this myself now but you can add this too :)

2 years ago

your right about cost but with rampant enemies and evolution mod, pollution is super important and with 20 windmills i get no pollution at all (not even from mining/refining fuel), i dont worry ever about fuel and its logistic at all, i dont have to fight for another coal patch etc. , making wind turbines generate less power make them less space efficient and less spamable so you still need some other power , initial cost doesnt matter much anyway after some time

New response