Deep Quarry

Adds quarry buildings to the game, which mine ores without an ore patch.

Content
7 years ago
0.13 - 0.14
Mining

g What to do with the other ores?

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Hi Versepelles! I love the idea of this mod. However, while I know that I can restrict the type of ore output in the lua file, I don't want to limit my ability to use the Deep Quarry. So now, I have a problem because, I cannot use ALL the ores at the same time...so then the quarry fills with unneeded ores, and quits producing any of the ore that I need. Perhaps you could create 4 or more separate Quarrys, or create a way for us to set the output type in game. That way we would not be limited by the overproduction of undesired ores. Perhaps even limiting the stack amount of all ores, so that they cannot over produce and starve out or fill the needed ore slot? When I start a game, I really have no idea what ore I'm not going to have in reasonable supply later on. I personally wanted to create a game with NO ore at the start and use these as mines. Yea, I adjusted the required tech, and recipe to facilitate this...just for fun. Turns out with this problem...it didn't work. :(

7 years ago

Hey Otterbear, thanks for the interest! One of the issues with Factorio in general is the lack of trash buildings. Modders have filled this niche with mods like Void Chest and Incinerator. The most up-to-date one that I know of is Item Destroyer, and this should help in the scenario you describe.

I thought about adding specialized buildings multiple times, but I think that this mod can only stay somewhat balanced by producing a mix of ores, as this then requires the player to actively sort through what they need, rather than just building tons of specialized quarries. So, I currently do not plan to add such functionality.

Best of luck with your playthrough challenge, it does sound interesting!

7 years ago

Thanks for the response, Versepelles.

So, if I wanted to use them exclusively...I guess, I would have to adjust the research requirements for both the Quarries and and Void chest, and Filter inserters. I can do the first two, but the Filter insertera are(I believe) a core item(?) and I cannot have access to them before researching them. Its not much, but it would require me to have ores on the map, that I'd rather not...It would also require me to have ENOUGH ores to reach "Filter inserter" research level. I've never tried to create a scenario, which, I believe, could help. I'm not really sure how to do it either. :( Any thoughts?

7 years ago

If you need some initial ores to get to the proper tech, perhaps you crash-landed with a spare deep quarry:

/c game.player.insert({name = "deep-quarry", count = 1})

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Good Idea. I guess I could just sort the ores in the Quarry or my personal inventory until I researched Filter inserters. I've lowered the tech requirements for them so that the lower tier quarrys are available at the start. just to test this. The only problem I keep running into is that I will have to get rid of excess ores(in boxes(?)) until I reach that tech..not to long..should be do-able. OR is this possible?
"../c game.player.insert({name = "filter-inserter", count = 1}")

7 years ago

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/491275750298925622/1C172B531075829BE8659251CDAA503B76E15308/

This is a start of how I am using your Quarrys. I does require quite a few "void" chest to keep the ore moving. However, it is working so..thats great!

7 years ago

Hey Otterbear. I really enjoy this mod too and also run into the problem of my system shutting down because of unwanted ore. So I'm hooking up inserters and voidchests with combinators. They only turn on if the ores reach a certain threshhold and the belts run much more smoothly.

You might also want to use filter inserters directly on the quarry. This makes for a much more compact design. cya

New response