True Nukes

Adds realistic nuclear blasts, and more nuclear options, including various scales of atomic artillery shell, as well as atomic cannon shells. Also adds thermobaric weapons (these are like fuel air bombs), which act as early game nukes. Simulates the blast wave, thermal impact, crater and fireball of nuclear weapons.

Content
5 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

i Protecting buildings against the shockwave

6 months ago

So, I know that large nuclear weapons are supposed to be a double-edged sword that kills a lot of enemies but also damages your base, but I think this drawback could be made a little more flexible by adding a limited way to protect your base from the nuclear blast. For example, a special building that functions like a shield generator, protecting other buildings in an area from the shockwave and fire, but drawing a lot of power in the process. This is not very realistic, so it probably doesn't belong in the True Nukes mod itself, but would work well as a separate, additional mod. The stronger the blast, the more power you need to tank it, rising exponentially, up until the maximum limit. This way you can negate chip damage from a distant explosion, but not a nuke detonated right next to the base. In order to not trivialize the game too much, the power draw could be set high enough that a typical base cannot just simply sustain it - you will either need to build a very large power source, or come up with some smart form of energy storage.

6 months ago

I've considered this kind of mechanic before, but in the current state of the game and the mod, the performance costs of such a system could be quite large (though I'm not sure about this), and the complexity would be quite high too, as for every entity protected by the shield, the mod would have to compute whether the shield protected the entity. I'd be happy to consider it eventually, and I'd love to make it work if I could, but I don't know if I can, and I don't know whether I'll have the time and energy to put towards making it work.
I'm also unsure about how such a mechanic should work. If I did implement it, I'd like to do it as a shield/wall which protects things behind it, so the blast can't get behind the shield. The problem with that is that the area protected would have to end at some point, and I'm not sure how that should work.
I've considered applying this to regular wall, so it protects the entities behind it, but doing so in a way that didn't destroy performance seems like a nightmare.

New response