True Nukes

Adds realistic nuclear blasts, and more nuclear options, including various scales of atomic artillery shell, as well as atomic cannon shells. Also adds thermobaric weapons (these are like fuel air bombs), which act as early game nukes. Simulates the blast wave, thermal impact, crater and fireball of nuclear weapons.

Content
5 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Combat

g [Implemented] Nuke biter deaths don't count as kills

8 months ago

Hi, I've really loved this mod, but i've been playing it with mods like Alien Loot Economy and RPG System, and I've noticed that deaths from nukes don't seem to count towards any kind of kill count for these modes' progression system. Biter nests and biters also seem to not drop any loot for mods that enable loot drops. This makes me think that the issue is in the manner in which the enemies are "killed" by this mod. Do you think there's any way around this issue? This mod is really fun for late-game progression with these types of companion mods, so it would be really could if it was compatible!

8 months ago

Also, this doesn't seem to be a problem with the thermobaric weapons!

8 months ago

Yeah, that is one of my optimizations - to call the faster "destroy" rather than "die" when bulk biters are killed (as otherwise the game crawls to a halt under trillions of particles nobody will ever see).
I might add an option to disable this optimization, but I'm really touchy around anything which might slow down the aggressive detonation code, even a little.
There's a similar thing with trees - as another optimization.

8 months ago

That makes a lot of sense! I was wondering why your mod was so much less lag-inducing that RFP-weaponry. I also just did some testing and turns out it's actually the same issue for thermobaric rockets at least, although that one's a little more tricky: it sometimes registers with RPG system, but never with alien loot economy! weird.
Would it be possible to add mod selection options for each explosion size individually? It would make sense to turn it on for smaller blasts but ignore it for >500T I think, but it would be nice if it was an option for sure.

Also, wow, thanks for such a quick response, I really love your mods, trying to learn to mod myself!

Also Also, in my testing realized that there's a huge projectile range bug on thermobaric rockets (at least the large rockets). Might also affect mortar ammo. I can raise a new thread for that though if you want, I think something similar has come up before. Issue isn't there for nuke rockets.

8 months ago

I'll look into adding some settings - I'm not gonna be too thorough with giving options (particularly as doing so may influence performance), but I'd happily give it a shot. Yeah, the mod has gone through a LOT of performance enhancements, and it's close to as good as it can be (I think). I might look into even more (or at least some settings to enable aggressive performance enhancements), but the game engine isn't really built for this, so I'm pushing it anyway.

Yeah, there are probably still some bugs with projectile ranges - Factorio is super inconsistent with how you define the range, so its not really surprising that some cases slipped through. I don't mind doing it on this thread, or another if you want. I'm pretty chill with how issues are organized.

True Nukes/Warheads probably aren't good examples of what most mods look like - the pre-0.3 version should be more 'normal', as 0.3 I moved to a pretty eccentric system of auto-generating the weapons (using Warheads), since I couldn't keep up myself anymore. Glad you like it!

8 months ago

I was messing around a bit and decided to try to rewrite your mod to register kills for thermobarics and nukes up to a certain payload, and it worked! I put in two new settings, one boolean and one to set the maximum payload to use for registering kills. The slowdown is unnoticeable below 1kt, and it doesn't interact with your optimized nuke scripts at all so it's only usable up to 100kt, and only if you leave that one unoptimized. I added very little to the scripts, and just an extra passed parameter and an extra saved parameter in your blastwave tables. The slowdown when it's not turned on should be next to zero, since it's just a couple of extra if statements using values you already saved to local, although i'm sure you could polish it. Let me know if you're interested! I've never done this before so i'm not sure how to get the changes to you to look at on your git.

8 months ago

Made a local branch on my computer but I obviously don't have access to pushing it to your repository, so let me know if you're interested!

8 months ago

Hey, sorry about the delay, I had a busy day.
Yeah, I was wondering about doing that myself, I've just been a little slow recently on implementing changes to the mod.
If you want me to use your changes and get you in the history, you can make a fork of the repo (on github, involves having your own account), then give a pull request, alternatively I could make up my own version, and do that.

7 months ago

OK, I'm gonna put a bit of time into implementing my own version of those changes.

7 months ago

OK, the updated version has it in. It has a setting for retaining kills up to 15kt, and one for up to 500t.

7 months ago

Sorry about the delay on this, hope it solves your problems

6 months ago

you are the absolute BEST, thanks so much!! I'm sure my changes are sloppy by modding standards, glad you put it in yourself! Looking forward to grabbing the update in my current playthrough!!

6 months ago

Thanks, I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you thought...

New response